Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Excel spreadsheets not saving

Of all the TRIM problems that I see, this one is the most prevalent, and in my opinion, fairly easy to solve.

It's embarrasing that such a good records management system can lose data in this way (yes, I understand that the root cause is a network fault, but TRIM needs to be more tolerant of these failures, and not generate misleading outcomes)

Maybe TRIMWatcher can keep a record of the failed auto-checkins, and automatically check them in next time TRIM is started, if the document has not been modified by anyone else in the interim?

Totally agree on the wording / presentation of the check in reminder. 99% of customers just want the dialog to go away, which defeats the purpose of the reminder.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for your comments Alex. All suggestions are being taken on board for when support make recommendations to the development team.

FYI - HP has improved this scenario somewhat in 7.2. When testing 7.2.1.3519 using the same scenario where the connection to the network drive is temporarily lost, I now get an error message (copy attached) that says:

"An error occurred checking in 'G12/5'. The Record 'G12/5' was successfully updated however some further processing failed.

Details: Cannot create the directory 'H:'. The network path was not found. (0x00000035).

TRIM has kept a copy of this Record in your Offline Records folder."

The copy that's left in offline records is the only one with the user's most recent changes and has a status of 'Modified'; however the user won't be able to check it back into TRIM as the record in TRIM is no longer checked out. I'm pretty sure I've seen some support cases come through about users complaining they can't check in their changes to documents because TRIM says the document's not checked out. Unfortunately users often just click OK to error messages such as the one above without actually reading them, and then they forget to mention to their TRIM administrator that any error happened at all 🙂

At least this is an improvement on what was happening in 7.1.1, where the offline records database was updated as if the record had been returned successfully (albeit unchanged), hence to the user it seemed there was no longer a copy in offline records (even though there was).

I'll keep testing this some more to see if I can put forward a suggestion to the developers for a better way to do it. Naturally there will be a number of technical considerations that will influence what's possible, and it's hard to make this sort of thing bullet-proof when you consider all the various scenarios that might happen to a user's PC while they've got a TRIM document open in edit mode (e.g. hitting the power or reset button). This is why my gut feel is the safest way to avoid such problems is to make users check out/check in their documents for editing.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/

If you find this post useful, please use the and/or buttons below.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Neil Summers wrote:

I agree Sander. I was under the impression the automatic check-in dialog introduced in TRIM 7 should prevent exactly this scenario by putting the onus back on the user to decide whether they want the document checked back in or not. It seems to me there is still at least one scenario (e.g. the one I attached to this thread) where TRIM isn't handling the loss of connectivity as well as I'd like to think it could. In the scenario I attached, the check-in dialog never appeared. I'm also not all that happy with the design of that dialog box: When it does appear, it looks a bit confusing to users. I'll do some more testing and keep you posted.

FYI - On further inspection it seems the automatic check in dialog is for when the document's still available/accessible but no longer held open by the authoring application. The loss of network connectivity to the checked out document itself is another scenario altogether. I will, however, raise an enhancement request to have the automatic check in dialog wording improved to remove the confusion.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Re: Excel spreadseets not saving

I can confirm that the spreadsheet does not have macros, is not linked and not password protected.  It seems it is just a case of the network as the offline records is kept on a networked drive.  I am now advising users to use the manual check out option as suggested in other posts. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Neil Summers wrote:

"FYI - HP has improved this scenario somewhat in 7.2. When testing 7.2.1.3519 using the same scenario where the connection to the network drive is temporarily lost, I now get an error message..."

FYI - This error message is now also displayed in 7.1.2.2017.

Neil

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.