Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. btg_1967 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Functional question re Custom Event Handlers

Hi there,

I have a simple use case to receive some data from another system, trigger a web service call and then lodge a record in TRIM with an attached action for followup in a few days.

I was thinking that if I lodge the record in TRIM, then possibly based on the plan ID, and record type, a custom event would trigger on that record type to call the external web service...

Or am I just dreaming??

Many thanks
Tags (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Functional question re Custom Event Handlers

You're dreaming! 🙂

You don't really define what "a custom event would trigger..." means.  Do you mean when you later update the fields, complete an action, apply a hold, edit the content, etc? 

The easiest way to make that happen, as a true event, is to create a custom event processor plugin.  It would then look for those scenarios you want to respond to and call your webservice.  We're talking maybe 100-200 lines of code depending on the complexity.  So not a big task.

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
0 Likes
Absent Member.. btg_1967 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks for a great reply - Ahhh, dreaming is such fun 🙂

The event to watch for would be an XML record with embedded transformation to render as HTML. a record type of X and record plan of Y assigned to a work tray Z so fairly defined. With the embedded data in the record being used for parameters to call a defined external webservice.

Once the receive task(s) complete, then the action would be completed, and the next action (wait for action) would set the next location.

The simple process is receive defined data from a telephone IVR to rest a password, then pass that data for a password reset to send SMS txt, email, and reset AD passwords via a separate web service, then move to a wait for followup queue. If the user resets their password, then the wait action completes (call back to TRIM), if not, then the followup will trigger a reminder and repeat the initial process 3 times, and eventually expire.

So custom event handler might be the go - where is the best documentation to find out more??
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Ralf_Wegener Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Agree with EWillsey, although can you confirm which application triggers an action or an event for consumption between the two or more system.s e.g. TRIM or the other solution. If action is triggered in HP TRIM, then as EWillsey suggested, a custom TRIM Event-addin residing on a TRIM workgroup server can trap events that meet a business rule (eg. Record Type X, Record Type Y etc) and initiate a web service call to an external system. (this is automated). Manually, if TRIM is the initiating system, there is another option to use an External link, configured to call custom rest URL with Record Medatadata transform it then pass on to other system. In any case, TRIM Web Service, TRIM SDK / HP TRIM SDK and ServiceAPI documentation should give you a starting point.

**My opinions are my own personal opinions.

kapish.com.au
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.