Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HP Trim - Organizing Data

Coming from a municipality that uses HP Trim as a live document system (meaning all documents, including working documents, are put in HP Trim), I find it hard to find a way to clearly organize my frequently used files and folders, so I'm open to suggestions, but here is what I do know or have used:

• Recent records and recent records only displays the last 25 objects visited.  Not substantial for long term use in a live document system.

• Favorite records displays all favorites, but only as favorites are added and/or in a nonspecific order.  There is no way to categorize folders and documents together or in a specific format that will not default back upon closing HP Trim and reopening. The advantage is you can add it to a startup function in HP Trim.

• User Labels allows you to categorize, but it is not allowed as a startup function.

For those of us who use HP Trim as a live document system, easy access and organizing our access can help make us more efficient at using HP Trim.

I would like to recommend making User Labels as a startup function.

I am open to other suggestions.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: HP Trim - Organizing Data

Users at my organisation had similar issues with User Lables. To get around this, I created a new record type (Electronic Cabinet) with free text titling:

e.g. Student Accomodation Project

Users can then place Classification Titled files in a structure of their own choosing/design

e.g. C01/13 "Student Accomodation Project" contains files:

13/1 "Financial Management - Bugeting - Student Accopmodation Project"

13/2 "Strategic Management - Planning - Student Accopmodation Project"

13/3 "Contract Management - Contracts - Student Accopmodation Project"

etc.

We also allow Cabinets to be contained in Cabinets - this gives our users complete flexibility in designing their own structures.

Hope this helps

Adam
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One thing I do is keep every day files in favorites then other files, eg reports I will make a reference on my desktop.  Then when I need my reporting files I just click on my reference and all the files open.  I use this for a number of items like various projects, training etc.

Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Adam

I am interested in your idea of 'electronic cabinets' and containing one within another.  Doesn't the 'container level' prevent you from enclosing other containers of the same level? How did you get around that?

Also, if two users want to put the same file in two different cabinets, how do you manage this situation.  I immediatley think alternative container relationship...or do you manage this in a different way.

I like the idea of user labels, but I want users in the same team to be able to share labels, so they are not duplicating the management of the same information, theoretically classification should work for them, but I think people just like the way share drives work.  I have been contemplating the idea of a using a record type instead, but I think there are pros and cons to both.

Any thoughts, answers you have are appreciated 🙂

Cheers, Kate

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi all

After reading the initial conversation above I started playing around with this myself.

Initially I found the record type option to be problematic due to the container relationship and sharing security (amongst other things) so I have now started trailling the use of thesaurus terms.

Basically, I am using a thesaurus term like a user label. I won't say it is perfect but the ability to share a term, add them to favourites and them have no impact on security etc is working pretty well.

Something else to play with... 🙂

Enjoy !

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The way the favorites display is horrible. Every single time I go to my favorites I have to reorder by the title to make any sense of the list and have to keep looking for the actual folder I want because it never appears in the same location on the screen.  Its such a pity that there is no way to add your own folders within the favorites to organsie them.  I work as an EA accross a very wide range of areas and it would be so handy to be able to a. catergorise into folders and b. be able to set a defualt option to order them by ttitle a-z.

I've previously worked with Objective and it has this exact functionality. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

LilyMartin , out of the box fav had limitation on number of entries etc which is now confogurable in RM8.3. However, in RM as well as TRIM there are few ways you can address your requirement eother by creating a series and attach your folders - records to that series, or you can create labels and assign labels or ypu may create a saved search and put that as fav.

One of the most simple one is to create A Folder as a virual container. Access the container and records you would like to have handy, from the Related Records Tab you add "Alternative Within" those records into the newly created folder as Alternative Record ( from the menu Option - Search Results please select show Alternative with records checkbox). This can be your daily tasks, or most used documents etc. When you add this virual folder into your fav, you have one click to get to your usual most used documents handy. 

Cheers,
Harry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Beware that your Favourites sort will be messed up if you have a default sort order set in your search dialogue. Press F7 to see if this is the case. This caused a problem when we upgraded to RM8.2.

Otherwise I keep my favourites in order by exporting them to a tr5 file, clearing my favourite tray then adding them back in the order I want them to appear.

More recently I've setup a parameter based saved search that only searches the title word I specify within my favourites list. I have one for favourite docs and one for favourite folders. I exported those 2 as a tr5 and launch trim from that.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.