Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Shelley McMenam Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

HPE RM LIcence Usage

I have been asked to produce a report that shows how often a HPE RM login is used do I need access to server to do this.  I need to produce a list of all active logins (only @400) and then state if they are using their login frequently, infrequently, never etc....... any ideas?

Shell

Tags (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
JanMartin Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: HPE RM LIcence Usage

You could use the Online Audit Log to see when users perform actions such as viewing/updating records. This doesn't seem to track users who are only performing searches however.

There is an entry in the workgroup server logs whenever a user spawns a new session, we have used this in the past to determine how many users are accessing a workgroup server at any one time.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There is a column in the DB that registered the last logon date but it doesn't keep a running tally of usage.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

I have been thinking about this a bit more and just the users last login date would be sufficient, I have over 400 users with logins but we want to know who is using their login and who isn't seeing their last login date would help me decide if they are frequent, infrequent or havent used it in years users.  Is there a search on the desktop that returns their last login date?

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Hi Greg,

Do you know the name of the column in the DB we had a look but couldn't see anything.

Cheers

Shell

0 Likes
Sten28 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: HPE RM Licence Usage

This scenario got me curious so I did a bit of digging.. I don't have the whole answer, but some information which may lead to a better understanding.

I ran a SQL Profiler trace when logging on to HPRM (tested with v8.1) and I noted that the table TSXMLDATA was called upon to grab the user's settings.

When taking a look at this table I saw that it had my Location Uri, as well as a xpLastUpdated column with many rows per Location Uri.

The reason I don't have a definitive answer is:

• There are many rows per user uri; I was not able to determine which related to the login act itself (most of the last updated rows were the same for each row, however).
  • The xpLastUpdated field only seemed to update when changing desktop settings (e.g. adding/removing columns, resizing views.)

I suspect that RM is only tracking when the users last updated their desktop settings, not when they last logged on. You might be able to query this table to get an idea of when users last updated their desktop views/settings, which doesn't necessarily reflect when they last logged on.. but it would be something 🙂

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Re: HPE RM Licence Usage

Thanks for that, we found that table last week, but as you said it is not showing their last login date.  I have ended up running a search in the desktop for those with a current loging, and then manually with each user looked at when they last uploaded a document, those that haven't uploaded I have assessed by their business unit and RM user type as to whether or not they would be a "read only" user.  This has allowed me to "free up" licences and I haven't had any queries from those that have been deactivated.

thanks again all for your suggestions, maybe this is a search that HPE could include in the next update???

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.