Trusted Contributor.. Kalyany Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

HPE Wait Time Before Auto Check In is Too Long

Hi

Anyone can help me for the following issue in HPE CM9

After we installed patch 3, waiting time for document check in is too long..more than 30 sec in HPE CM9.

we changed the checkin time in Open Document Options (see attach doc) to 10 sec. still it takes long time to check in.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.. Joshua Hutley Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: HPE Wait Time Before Auto Check In is Too Long

If it is anything like 8.3 patch 4 there are a number of registry keys which control checkin time

We have had lost of fun trying to work it out but i have a pretty good idea now.

If you look at this key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\OpenDocuments you can find the various settings

For example do you see this key and what is it set to?

CheckinPollingInterval?

If you dont have it can you try adding and make it say 5 secs. That is what we have.

Also i am assuming CM 9 is simailr to RM 8.3 latest patch but not sure of course.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I'd say the one you wanted to change was "Minumum wait time before a document can be automatically checked in". This is set to 30 secs. Hence why you say it takes more than 30 secs.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for your reply.

As you said, I can see that registry set up via group policy here. Following settings I have in my registry.

Eventhough we change the minimum interval and refresh intrval to 10 sec, still it takes more than 30 sec.

It is only happeneig if we open a file in edit mode CM9.

Regards

Kaly

registry.png

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Hi Neil

Thank you for your reply.

It says minimum wait time not actual time to check in.

If we open a file in edit mode only it takes more than 30 sec. But we check it out and check in back then it is less than a sec. I don't know why edit mode takes more time to check in back.

Regards

Kaly

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It's all quite intentional for the Edit function, which is a completely different kettle of fish to manually checking a document out to offline records and then manually checking it back in; essentially to help ensure the authoring application has finished with the document before CM decides to try and check it back in. The online help should explain that somewhat. 

This should also help:

ConfirmWhenProcessOpen - “Wait for user confirmation before checking in when the authoring application is not running (or if the authoring application is not known)” - Turns on or off the automatic check in process

ReminderInterval - "When a document has been closed and possibly ready for check-in, prompt for confirmation after" - If above option enabled, how long to wait after authoring app has released the file handle before prompting user with check-in dialog

RefreshInterval - “Refresh the contents of the open documents pane” - How often the list of Open Documents is refreshed, based on the known edit status of those documents.

MinimumDelay - "Minimum wait time (seconds) before a document can be automatically checked in" - Minimum elapsed time after check-out before a document can be flagged as eligible for automatic check-in by the CheckinPollingInterval loop

MinimumDelayDiscard - "Additional wait time (seconds) before checking in documents unchanged (allows time for application to start up)" - Additional elapsed time (added to above MinimumDelay value) after check-out before a document can be automatically checked back in with no changes.

LogFile - “Name of automatic check-in log file” - Blank if “Log activity of automatic check-in processor” isn’t enabled

CheckinPollingInterval - Not exposed in the user interface - How often the edit status of open documents in their authoring application is checked: If a document no longer has an open handle on it, this either triggers the check-in dialog box or the automatic check in process (depending on setting of ConfirmWhenProcessOpen).

MinimumCloseInterval - Not exposed in the user interface - New in 8.3 Patch 4 Hotfix 3. Default 30 secs. This 30 secs is added to the check in time by default in the absence of this registry setting. If you want to reduce or remove this default 30 second delay, you should manually create this registry (DWORD) value and set it to a number less than 30.

Comments from Engineering regarding MinimumCloseInterval: “Added a delay to the auto check in process. Now, when it detects if the file has been closed and no process has a handle to it, it sets a timer to the time it detected it, but doesn't immediately consider the file to be ready to check in. The next time the file is checked, if it is still not in use, the timer is then checked to see if a certain amount of time has elapsed (30 seconds default). If the time hasn't elapsed, the file is still not ready for check in. If the time has elapsed then processing continues along the existing auto check in path (i.e. will move on to be automatically checked in or wait for user confirmation, depending upon that option). If a file is in use, during the auto check in loop, the timer is cleared so it will start again next time the file is found to be not in use. This change seems to handle the Office behaviour… (I.e. its habit of closing the file handle and then re-opening it as part of the save function).”

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Oh, and another thing - if you change the registry values discussed below, they won't take effect until the TRIMWatcher.exe process is next started. Usually you'll find it's still running on the user's machine while you're busy mucking around with the registry. After you change these registry values, make sure you close CM, and then if TRIMWatcher is still running (look in Task Manager for "HPE Content Manager Offline Records Agent"), kill this process from Task Manager. It'll re-spawn with the new registry settings when needed.

Neil

Trusted Contributor..

Thank you so much Neil for your detail information. it helped a lot.

We have changed the group plicy to update the Registry values all to 5 sec.

"RefreshInterval"=dword:00000005
"MinimumDelay"=dword:00000005
"MinimumDelayDiscard"=dword:00000005

then I restarted the PC and check the HPE CM9 "Open Document Options", all above values changed to 5 sec.

Then I did following test:

- opened 33KB word doc in edit mode and it took 10 sec to checked in back

- opened 16 MB word doc in edit mode in CM9 and checked in back. it took 30 - 40 sec.

I believe,  it depends on the file size and network speed.

So I think we need to wait atleast 30- 40 sec to check in back in CM9 when we open in edit mode.

Rgds

Kaly

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. Joshua Hutley Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Some other things I will throw in

1. make sure you wait the length of time as listed in your minimum delay discard before you do your counting. So in your case, wait at least 5 secs before closing the document to see how long it takes to check in

2. how are you testing the check-in time? Are you counting until the CM 9 client shows the document in checked in? I just raise this as a question because in my experience it can take extra time for the client to refresh to show the status has changed to checked (when it had actually checked maybe 10 to 20 secs prior). I would instead go onwhat the trimwatcher log file is writing

I have times similar to you and check in times are generally between 10 to 15 secs but often the client is slow to reflect the change in check-in status

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, the overall speed of the environment (including database responsiveness) will have some impact.

Neil

0 Likes
New Member.. ef_msb
New Member..

Thank you for this post. We are using 9.1.5 and experiencing the same issues; will look into the registry settings.

I suspect this issue may be quite a bit more widespread than we realize.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

These may help:

KM03113826 - Document Edit function in Content Manager - User options and associated registry keys/values (RM 8.3-CM 9.2)

KM03230682 - Document Edit function in Content Manager - modifying the default check-in behaviour (CM 9.3)

Neil

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.