Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

IDOL 'RepositoryStorage' parameter should be set to TRUE

Hi all,

Most RM & CM customers will probably have their IDOL Content Engine(s) configured with RepositoryStorage=FALSE. This has been the installation default since RM 8.2 days.

In earlier releases (TRIM 7.2 - RM 8.1) this parameter defaulted to TRUE, but HP decided (based on the experience of the majority of our customers) the benefits of setting it to FALSE (primarily indexing speed) outweighed the benefits of setting it to TRUE (primarily index stability) in an IDOL OEM implementation, with an expectation customers included IDOL indexes in their regular RM/CM backup regime.

Things started changing more recently since IDOL 10. IDOL engineering have been progressively refining the behaviour where RepositoryStorage=TRUE, to a point where from IDOL 11 onwards (i.e. Content Manager 9.x) they recommend creating any new IDOL indexes with RepositoryStorage=TRUE. It's envisioned the RepositoryStorage parameter will be deprecated in future and hence IDOL will always behave as if RepositoryStorage=TRUE. This recommendation hasn't yet filtered through to the default IDOL configuration in Content Manager 9.x, so it's worth keeping in mind for any new installations it's a good idea to change it to TRUE before indexing your CM dataset.

So where does that leave TRIM/RM/CM customers whose IDOL index was built using RepositoryStorage=FALSE? There's no need to panic, as IDOL content engines will continue working if left as is. If you want to embrace the new changes, however, it's not as simple as just changing the parameter. This setting is persistent in the IDOL index and cannot be changed without a full reindex. Sure you could change the parameter in the configuration file, but it won't do anything except log a warning every time the content engine is started that the parameter value doesn't match the index state.

At some point in future you'll want to re-initialise and perform a full IDOL reindex with the parameter set to RepositoryStorage=TRUE. Perhaps something to factor in when planning your next CM upgrade.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Grundy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: IDOL 'RepositoryStorage' parameter should be set to TRUE

Thanks Neil, good to know this has changed. :)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I should mention since customers started creating IDOL indexes with RepositoryStorage=False (primarily to improve performance) there has been a consistent pattern of IDOL OEM index corruption across our worldwide RM/CM customer base. One thing RepositoryStorage=True does offer is much improved protection against index corruption and roll-back of incomplete transactions when a sync to disk fails.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

For more information on IDOL's Repository Storage mode, please refer to knowledgebase article:

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/km/KM02995151

Neil

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

FYI - despite MF Support's best efforts, even in the latest CM 9.3 release the RepositoryStorage parameter still defaults to FALSE for a new IDOL OEM installation.

If you want it set to TRUE (as per our recommendation) please ensure this is changed to TRUE BEFORE starting your IDOL content engine(s) for the first time.

Neil

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.