Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Contributor.. NeilMacKinnon Contributor..
Contributor..

IGF 2015?

A few of us are (have been left) wondering if there is going to be an IGF this year?

Having looked forward to the last 4 or so that I've been to, let alone the 10s of conferences that a lot of our community has looked forward to, we're hoping there will be another this year.

Given the huge strides that HP has made with Records Manager, I imagine a lot of customers want to see this continue.  It is one of the communities largest networking/troubleshooting/planning conferences there is.

HP has been very quiet this year! 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Environment:
Windows 10 64-bit desktops
Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit App, Idol & Event servers
SQL Server 2012/2016
HPe CM 9.1.914
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: IGF 2015?

Annnnnnd now I can log in. 

Sorry for the lack of response Neil, I've been having endless issues with not being able to log into this Community.

I have passed your question onto Product Management and have requested them to respond to this question.

Thanks for getting in contact!

Cheers

Helen 🙂

Helen Barnes
Content Manager Information Developer
Information Management & Governance
Micro Focus
Contributor..

Hi Helen,

Any word yet?

Its interesting to note (just in case HP are thinking of not putting on an IGF like the last 25+years) that Microsoft have allegedly realised the mistake of reducing/cancelling a show like this (TechEd).  After trial of the 'seperate shows, seperate cities, only 1 day instead of 3, they are apparantly going to run TechEd as it was previously.

Whilst we are all a 'captive' audience, losing a highly beneficial networking, knowledge-building industry event like IGF, particularly given the new arena of Information Governance, is going to seriously impact on customer relationship building, let alone expansion of customer base. 

🙂

Plus, who doesn't like a party?  😄

Environment:
SQL Server 2012/2016
HPe CM 9.1.914
dgould_hp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Neil, thanks for your comments regarding IGF.  The good news is that there not only is an IGF this year, we are changing the format to make it more accessible and available to all our users countrywide.  Rather than bring the people to the show, this year, we are doing something different by bringing the show to the people.  Announcements of the new program and format are scheduled to be delivered to the market very, very soon.

Instead of having one big event, we will have regional day long events in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.  These events will feature an intensive day long agenda full of roadmap sessions, demonstrations, partner led-sessions, trends, chat with developers and networking, very similar to what we have done in the past except that we are doing it a  condensed one-day format.  The reason for this change is that the number one issue for customers outside of the host city for not attending was that it was becomming too expensive and time consuming.  With cutbacks in government budgets, we at HP wanted to develop a format that makes it possible for more people to attend, not less.  After listening to a lot of comments from people who did attend as well as those who could not attend last year, we felt a change was required to open IGF to more people, not just the program owners, but key users, IT executives and others.

So we decided on this format -- yes, we give up the fabulous party, but we are very confident that the new format will provide the high quality information that you and others expect to get at the show.  Also, we make it a lot easier for more people within agencies to attend because the price -- i will wait for the official announcement -- will be REALLY attractive. 

The bottom line is that HP and our customers will have a great opportunity to make A LOT of noise at IGF and other programs that we are bringing to market.  HP Records Manager is a strategic solution for the Big Data Solutions team at HP -- we are investing more and responding to customer requirements faster than ever before with enhancements and functionality that makes HP Records Manager the number one information governance solution globally .  Thanks again for your comments.  And, as always, if you have questions or comments about our direction, please feel encouraged to make them here, to our great sales and support team in Australia as well as to me directly.  I can be reached at dgould@hp.com.

0 Likes
Strider_1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hmm

Neil said in relation to Microsoft: "After trial of the 'seperate shows, seperate cities, only 1 day instead of 3, they are apparently going to run TechEd as it was previously".

Then David said: "Instead of having one big event, we will have regional day long events in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney". 

Neil, I suspect you have a good contact in HP 🙂

David, FWIW, unless these events are free they will most probably exclude the 'real' regional customers you have. What about those in Adelaide, Wagga, Canberra, Darwin and Hobart? The cost of getting to a 'big' city and still having to pay at least one nights accommodation will make an event like these prohibitive when it is just for one day (I certainly won't be able to get budget for such a small event). Additionally, in so doing you will have restricted the base from which any good networking can be achieved ie. everyone in Melbourne probably already networks with the Melbourne customers they have something in common with, how do they catch-up with other like minded souls from around the country? Where is the time to catchup with HP reps? Vendors? And still attend what looks to be a multi-stream event... guess I should wait until the full program comes out before being too negative but at this stage I'm not liking what I am hearing.

Like Neil, I have attended these events for many many years (my first one was in 1993!) but as a regional customer I can already say I won't be attending a one day seminar, good luck, I hope it works out for HP.

Cheers

Contributor..

@Strider_1 wrote:

Neil said in relation to Microsoft: "After trial of the 'seperate shows, seperate cities, only 1 day instead of 3, they are apparently going to run TechEd as it was previously".

Then David said: "Instead of having one big event, we will have regional day long events in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney". 

Neil, I suspect you have a good contact in HP 🙂

Yes, I think something was missed there.  I meant exactly what you said, Strider_1.  The rumour is that Microsoft tried this one day type of event, and found that it didn't work, so are going back to the larger event.

I too believe as you've said :

@Strider_1 wrote:

David, FWIW, unless these events are free they will most probably exclude the 'real' regional customers you have. What about those in Adelaide, Wagga, Canberra, Darwin and Hobart? The cost of getting to a 'big' city and still having to pay at least one nights accommodation will make an event like these prohibitive when it is just for one day (I certainly won't be able to get budget for such a small event). Additionally, in so doing you will have restricted the base from which any good networking can be achieved ie. everyone in Melbourne probably already networks with the Melbourne customers they have something in common with, how do they catch-up with other like minded souls from around the country? Where is the time to catchup with HP reps? Vendors? And still attend what looks to be a multi-stream event... guess I should wait until the full program comes out before being too negative but at this stage I'm not liking what I am hearing.

Like Neil, I have attended these events for many many years (my first one was in 1993!) but as a regional customer I can already say I won't be attending a one day seminar, good luck, I hope it works out for HP.

Cheers

HP will have probably lost most if not all Tassie customers turning up, even though there was usually only a small number of us.

The content of the new shows will have to be a lot stronger, a lot more information-driven as opposed to sales pitches, for me (and I'm guessing many others) to make business cases to attend.

Information Governance is a new emerging concept, and HP has a lot of very good tools in its arsenal to assist us in the new modern age.  The tools however need a lot behind them to work - business cases, white papers, policies, real-life customer examples and very strong networking (ie customers need to see how other people are working in this space and not just in their own markets).

Environment:
SQL Server 2012/2016
HPe CM 9.1.914
Vincent Ishwar
New Member.

Like the other upset regional HP RM users, I will not be attending from Alice Springs a one day event interstate "event"  as the "event" will still cost my employer $5000-00 with airfares, accommodation, taxi & Travel Allowance.

Contributor..

Well, some fantastic HP communication to its customers obviously NOT happening here!  Its the resellers who are informing us about IGF 2015!!

I can't believe that HP is doing an event in Western Australia, but not Hobart!

So does HP think that any non-WA customers are going to travel to WA for ONE day??  I reckon you would probably count on 2 hands the amount of people at that event.

And what about Brisbane??  I remember HP saying years ago that they were restricting the IGF to one of the three states, VIC, NSW and the ACT, primarily because they felt that customers had a hard time justifying to their management a trip up to 'sunny vacation land' of QLD!   But here we are, an event in Brisbane!

Wow...  talk about back-pedalling!

Are we going to see a program anytime soon?  Somehow I'm going to have to justify almost the same costs as a 3 day event for one day!

Hmm.

And speaking of IGF, I can see how HP are moving the gist of these forums away from just 'records management', into the burgeoning space/niche of IG.  Is there an IG forum here online? I could only find the TRIM/RM ones.

Environment:
SQL Server 2012/2016
HPe CM 9.1.914
Vincent Ishwar
New Member.

I also heard about IGF 2015 regional 1 day meetings from my reseller. Shame. 

Guess I wont be going then...

HP Records Manager's continuation in my organisation was under review before this decision.  

Now...who knows??

Highlighted
RachaelR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I know it is super early in the year but does anyone know if there will be an IGF this year?
Other questions include when? and if it's a "road show" again or held in Sydney/Melbourne?

As I'm sure others can relate it's that time of year for budgets. 

~*~
Current Build: 9.0.4.488
My comments, views, opinions etc. are a reflection of myself and no-one else
0 Likes
RachaelR Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

The word on the wire is that the IGF will be "road show" style again this year

~*~
Current Build: 9.0.4.488
My comments, views, opinions etc. are a reflection of myself and no-one else
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.