Highlighted
Shelley Mac Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Importing Locations Active Locations Relationships

Jump to solution

Hi All

I am importing active locations to a test environment.  The locations are importing ok except the relationships are not being brought over, i.e Sarah Smith is in the position Executive Assistant and this relationship is shown in the dataset i am exporting from but when I import to the test dataset the relationship isnt created yet Sarah Smith has imported as a person location and her position is also there but there is no relationship, have I missed something?  I have checked the import file, and the Location Relationships column is there and it is also paired within dataport.

Kind regards

Shell

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor.

Re: Importing Locations Active Locations Relationships

Jump to solution

We are actually logging a support request with Micro Focus, as nothing is working at our end, its importing locations but not the relationships, there are no inverted comma's in the text/import file etc and the relationships are listed within it correctly.

Thanks for your help all.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor.. Scott Brown2 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

We fixed this problem by changing the format of the import file to Unicode.

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

I changed the file to unicode but that didn't fix the issue.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Steve Macukat Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi Shelley in previous versions we had issues reliably linking locations if there were multiples with the same name. In CM9.2 our staff member doing this had more problems so we had our local partner develop an Excel macro spreadsheet that created the links correctly. After an import we copy the child and parent locations URIs into two seperate columns and pressed ok.

It was a low cost solution to a problem that had bothered us for years.

If you have access to a developer who understands the SDK it shouldn't take them long.
0 Likes
Quinton Bernhardt Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Importing relationships is painful.  These are 2 scenarios/problems that stole hours from my day and may be the cause of your issues.

1.  When reformatting the import file in Excel and saving as Unicode Tab Delimited file caused my "Location Relationships" column values to be enclosed with double-quotes.

So instead of the value being: MemberOf;1;Executive Management Department;;;;;;; it is changed to "MemberOf;1;Executive Management Department;;;;;;;".  The quotes mess with DataPort.

Excel automatically encloses column values with quotes when the value contains ANYTHING that it deems a delimiter.  To fix, open up the final import file with a text editor of your choice (like VS Code or Notepad++) and remove the doube-quotes with a search and replace.

2. Duplicate locations

Change the settings in DataPort to use First Match.

clipboard_image_0.png

Regards,
Quinton Bernhardt
Meniko Records Management Services
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

We are actually logging a support request with Micro Focus, as nothing is working at our end, its importing locations but not the relationships, there are no inverted comma's in the text/import file etc and the relationships are listed within it correctly.

Thanks for your help all.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.