Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Issues since upgrading to HP TRIM 7.1.2.1879

Jump to solution

We upgraded to HP TRIM 7.1.2.1879 at the end of September and we still have a few outstanding items that have not resolved themselves. I'm hoping one of you has run into something like this, figured out a solution and willing to share the fix.

We are running 32-bit TRIM on the server and clients.

1.) User config settings resetting everytime users close TRIM. This includes List Pane, View Pane and Toolbars. It does not default to Global, it defaults to out of the box settings each and everytime some users close TRIM. Most of the users appear to be running Windows 7 so I'm thinking that has to have something to do with it.

2.) Records Administrative tasks - Message prompts users to have Delete Permissions to update Record Type, Record Number, Add/Remove Holds, Update Disposition. The Delete permission was not required to perform these types of tasks in previous versions of TRIM and should not be now. HP R&D is supposed to be checking in on this but we have a lot of folks that are not happy with me as the TRIM Admin since I've taken away their access and ability to do their daily work. 😞

3.)  Content Indexing via TES causes system failure for electronic records. When trying to use the Reindex feature of TRIM Enterprise Studio, all ability to create/edit/view electronic records is non-functional. As soon as we kill the reindex, full functionality is restored. Not an issue going forward since we are caught up on reindexing due to a corrupted DCI during upgrade, but I'm including as FYI. (related to #4)

4.) (Related to #3) I have a lot of emails which were cataloged into TRIM prior to the upgrade. When I run reindexing on them - either through TES or the TRIM Client, I received errors that they contain ANSI headers and therefore are unable to be indexed. This is HUGE in that I can't search for records which include the ANSI headers so there are possibly hundreds of thousands of emails which are no longer Document Content/Email Message Content searchable. Only solution provided thus far is to recatalog all emails using HP TRIM 7.1. Not really a realistic option for us at the moment due to volume.

Any thoughts/assistance/resolution you could provide on any of the items above would be appreciated!

Regards,

Tamara

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Issues since upgrading to HP TRIM 7.1.2.1879

Jump to solution

Hi Tamara

We had exactly the same problem with the view pane settings resorting to the out of the box settings when we upgraded to TRIM 7.1.1.1821 and were on Windows XP.

It didn't matter if the user was an Information Worker or a System Admin, PC or Citrix, the problem was consistantly replicable. Our support vendor was unable to offer any explaination/reason as to why this was happening.

To "fix" this we had the users customise their view pane and add a field, they only had to do it once and the global settings then stuck. Weird I know but it worked. It is possible that the same "fix" would work for Windows 7.

Cheers

Jani

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution
For #2: just give them delete access. If you haven't given them the permission to delete records then its not going to do anything other than do the things you're wanting.
---------
Erik
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

1 - I think I remember seeing the support case for this, but it's so random and not something we've seen anywhere else that I can't provide any answers here.  We couldn't replicate.

2 - This is now fixed in 7.1.2 Patch 1 that was just released this week.

3 - Strange issue.

Probably something to do with load on the system running the reindex, assuming it's the server users also primarily connect to?
Try the reindex on a separate WG server.
Alternatively, 7.3 has a new DCI reindexing process and so should not be an issue at all if you were to upgrade.

4 - Not sure where that issue ended up. I thought there was a support case open for this too?

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

@EWillsey wrote:
For #2: just give them delete access. If you haven't given them the permission to delete records then its not going to do anything other than do the things you're wanting.

E - The error states they must have the Delete Permission to perform the tasks.

Regards,

Tamara

Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

@Grundy wrote:

1 - I think I remember seeing the support case for this, but it's so random and not something we've seen anywhere else that I can't provide any answers here.  We couldn't replicate.

2 - This is now fixed in 7.1.2 Patch 1 that was just released this week.

3 - Strange issue.

Probably something to do with load on the system running the reindex, assuming it's the server users also primarily connect to?
Try the reindex on a separate WG server.
Alternatively, 7.3 has a new DCI reindexing process and so should not be an issue at all if you were to upgrade.

4 - Not sure where that issue ended up. I thought there was a support case open for this too?

Grundy,

You are correct that there is an open support case for these issues but since it has been open for nearly two months and the issues have not yet been resolved, I was seeking additional insight from other TRIM users.

1.) Are there any other TRIM Users out there who are running on Windows 7 PCs who have experienced user config settings in TRIM resetting when the application closes?

2.) I read through the fixes for 7.1.2.2017 and didn't see this issue specifically discussed. Please let me know with CRID # you are referring to for the fix.

3.) We did run reindexing on a separate WG server and had the same errors/results. Due to our large volume of electronic records, I actually followed the HP plan to reindex doc content indexes using parallel processing. (28 April 2009 instructions)

4.) Can anyone who is running HP TRIM 7.1x confirm that they were able to successfully reindex/document content search all emails which were cataloged into TRIM using a previous version of the software?

Regards,

Tamara

Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

@Tamara Hoagland wrote:

1.) Are there any other TRIM Users out there who are running on Windows 7 PCs who have experienced user config settings in TRIM resetting when the application closes?

Hi,

One of our customers sees this with TRIM 7.1 build 1157. They have recently moved to Windows 7, and it was not happening before.

They had the app data redirected to home drive locations, and I have a suspicion that TRIM was not finding the config settings occasionally on startup, so it was recreating them from the factory settings.

It is occurring fairly randomly, and a lot of users have no idea that it's even occurred, since they don't pay much attention to the toolbars.

I've reindexed 7.1 a number of times across a number of sites, and not come across the ANSI problem.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

"2.) I read through the fixes for 7.1.2.2017 and didn't see this issue specifically discussed. Please let me know with CRID # you are referring to for the fix."

The CR wasn't published in the TRIM_Fixes file. HP has some rules around publishing security related issues and we aren't allowed to place some things online in the primary documentation.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Grundy,

Could you email me the documentation? I'll send my email address to you in PM.

Regards,
Tamara
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sent.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

1.) User config settings resetting everytime users close TRIM. This includes List Pane, View Pane and Toolbars. It does not default to Global, it defaults to out of the box settings each and everytime some users close TRIM. Most of the users appear to be running Windows 7 so I'm thinking that has to have something to do with it.

1a.) Are there any other TRIM Users out there who are running on Windows 7 PCs who have experienced user config settings in TRIM resetting when the application closes?

1b.) Update: Windows XP user is also having this issue; however, only the View Pane fields are affected by reset when TRIM closes.

1c.) We are still looking for user responses on this issue... Anyone else experience random users experience dropping of user config settings? If so, how did you resolve/work around?

2.) Records Administrative tasks - Message prompts users to have Delete Permissions to update Record Type, Record Number, Add/Remove Holds, Update Disposition. The Delete permission was not required to perform these types of tasks in previous versions of TRIM and should not be now. HP R&D is supposed to be checking in on this but we have a lot of folks that are not happy with me as the TRIM Admin since I've taken away their access and ability to do their daily work. 😞

2a.) We have installed 7.1.2.2017 on a couple of user PCs thus far and the issue is resolved. We did not have to update the version of TRIM on the server.

2b.) RESOLVED! Thanks so much to Grundy for providing the info for the fix!

3.)  Content Indexing via TES causes system failure for electronic records. When trying to use the Reindex feature of TRIM Enterprise Studio, all ability to create/edit/view electronic records is non-functional. As soon as we kill the reindex, full functionality is restored. Not an issue going forward since we are caught up on reindexing due to a corrupted DCI during upgrade, but I'm including as FYI. (related to #4)

3a.) We did run reindexing on a separate WG server and had the same errors/results. Due to our large volume of electronic records, I actually followed the HP plan to reindex doc content indexes using parallel processing. (28 April 2009 instructions)

3b.) We are still looking for user responses on this issue... Are you able to successfully run DCI re-index via TES without causing issues creating/editing electronic documents? If so, please let me know which version/build of TRIM you are running.

4.) (Related to #3) I have a lot of emails which were cataloged into TRIM prior to the upgrade. When I run reindexing on them - either through TES or the TRIM Client, I received errors that they contain ANSI headers and therefore are unable to be indexed. This is HUGE in that I can't search for records which include the ANSI headers so there are possibly hundreds of thousands of emails which are no longer Document Content/Email Message Content searchable. Only solution provided thus far is to recatalog all emails using HP TRIM 7.1. Not really a realistic option for us at the moment due to volume.

4a.) Can anyone who is running HP TRIM 7.1x confirm that they were able to successfully reindex/document content search all emails which were cataloged into TRIM using a previous version of the software?

4b.) We are still looking for user responses on this issue... If you have upgraded from TRIM 6x to HP TRIM 7x, please let me know if you have been able to successfully perform doc content/email message content searches against emails cataloged into TRIM using TRIM 6x. If you prefer, you can private message me.

Regards,

Tamara

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

3) Yes, I've had success running a DCI Reindex, without it impacting creation/modification of electronic objects.

4) Yes, no issues reindexing emails.

---------
Erik
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Tamara

We had exactly the same problem with the view pane settings resorting to the out of the box settings when we upgraded to TRIM 7.1.1.1821 and were on Windows XP.

It didn't matter if the user was an Information Worker or a System Admin, PC or Citrix, the problem was consistantly replicable. Our support vendor was unable to offer any explaination/reason as to why this was happening.

To "fix" this we had the users customise their view pane and add a field, they only had to do it once and the global settings then stuck. Weird I know but it worked. It is possible that the same "fix" would work for Windows 7.

Cheers

Jani

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.