Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Lost Excel Document

We use HP Trim as a live document system.  One in which we are in and out of HP Trim multiple times a day to open, edit, and save documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and PDFs)

Last Friday, we had an incident where an end user opened an Excel document from HP Trim, did many "Saves" through the day by randomly clicking the Save button, which of course, saves all the changes to the temp file in Offline Records.  At the end of the day, the end user closed the document and went home. It is assumed that when the end user closed the document, it checked itself back into HP Trim.  It is now Monday, the end user opens the document and none of the changes made to the document from the previous Friday appeared to be saved.  The only document(s) in Offline Records was the Excel document the end user reopened today (with no changes) and an old draft of the same document dated in August.

We cannot locate the document with the changes.  Do you have any idea(s) of what might have happened to the document with all the changes from the previous Friday?

Current System: HP Trim 7.0

HP Trim uUsed for a Live Document System

Time experience using HP Trim: 5 months

Offline Records: C drive

Server on cloud

Thank you.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Lost Excel Document

What does the audit history show for the record?  Does it show changes were checked-in on Friday?  It may show document returned unchanged.... which, if that is the case, means you're SOL.

---------
Erik
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do I check the audit history of the document?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Right-click->Details->Active Audit Events
---------
Erik
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The only tracking information I get from that feature is when the assignee changes.  It sounds like we're SOL.

From the information you have shared off and on in the last few weeks, it is only when Offline Records is connected to the cloud or to a network drive where there can be temporary interruptions of connectivity to the document, correct?  Well, what if Offline Records is connected to a C drive (user's PC), but all the active documents we work on are in the cloud?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Your dataset is not configured properly then. It's standard to have most of the audit events enabled for electronic objects... if for no other reason than these scenarios. Also it's useful to know 3 months later who did what.

Follow these steps to enable auditing on your record type:
1) Open TRIM Context
2) Click Tools->Records->Record Types
3) Double-click the record type
4) Click on the audit tab
5) Check all which are appropriate for your environment. If it's an electronic document record type then I check all except "Last Action Date Changed"
6) Click ok

Now you'll get some really good history on your records. Note that this will increase the size of the database, but that's no horrible. You can use the data clean-up tool to purge old entries (or personally I have a script that does this for records once you've changed their disposition).

As far as the root reason for your disconnected document, you should really get your vendor to investigate. It's not normal that is happens often. Once every blue moon it happens, for some of the reasons listed out in various posts on here.

Cheers,
Erik
---------
Erik
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We continue to learn more and more each day, and I appreciate your feedback.  I think once we have reconfigured the active audit events, we will discover more about what happens with our documents when they break or get lost.  I very much appreciate your help and look forward to more contact with you in the future.

Thank you!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

You're welcome. And we work for points! 🙂
---------
Erik
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

@EWillsey wrote:
You're welcome. And we work for points! 🙂

Dont worry, I keep hovering around and dishing out points. 😉

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.