Outstanding Contributor.. PerthRM8 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

MF CM 9.3 - Emails can have revisions .... also, where we change the extensions from msg to eml

Hi,

Win 10, testing the MicroFocus Content Manager 9.3 pointing either to PROD 8,3 Patch 2 or to CM 9.2 WGS

Hi all,

While evaluating the latest TRIM Contant Manager 9.3 , I found another issue in my case, with E-mails...  I am pointing with 9.3 Client to Prod 8.3 or to CM 9.2 WGS and I surprisely can add revisions to existing e-mail message in TRIM ..... I drag-dropped 4-5 revisions, one by one.... all went through... We were not being able to do that in PROD or 9.2 patch 1 for that matter ....

Also, our email format somehow changed from EML to MSG .... I can't find where we change this option..?

I am logged on as TRIM Administrator account .... Also, this account has some local admin rights ....and I upgraded my Client from CM 9.2. Patch 1 to CM 9.3 3 days ago ....

Obviously, this is an issue for us....

How to deal with this one? Can someone please analyse this as we are now starting to choose the version for the incoming TRIM upgrade ...Anyone?     ...

Thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: MF CM 9.3 - Emails can have revisions .... also, where we change the extensions from msg to eml

The bahaviour changed to allow for new revisions to allow for scenarios where a customer wanted to track a converation thread.  So instead of a new Record for each new reply it can be a new Revison.

To prevent this there is a system option (in the Email Records tab) to auto finalise all email Records.  I suppose you will have to do a manual finalise on all existing email records.

Re MSG versus EML.  At some point the decsion was made to not convert from one to the other.  If you file from Outlook we retain the original format of MSG.  If you file from 'Email Link' we retain its format of EML.   If you want a long term storage soluiton you could auto rendition MSG to PDF.

Blog | Samples | HPE CM 9.3 SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
Highlighted

Re: MF CM 9.3 - Emails can have revisions .... also, where we change the extensions from msg to eml

Thanks,

But this is "shocking ... "..... All these years, e-mails could not be revisioned and we teach our users that, but now suddenly, they can be, and all our previous e-mails in TRIM are "in danger" ....

Also, the workaround is to FINALISE the record ...... looks logical, that is what we want, e-mail record that cannot be tampered with .... but Finalising record has some other implications, one would thought... too drastic step..?

E-mail format, as well: since HPE RM 8.1 or 8.3 we are using EML format , that was a default at some point of time and there is a conversion tool that say "change VMBX to EML" and now we are back to MSG ...

Hm ... lot to swalow...

Thanks for your explanations, much appreciated as always.

0 Likes

Also, just on that note: when we do a proper CHECK IN of the e-mail in MS Outlook, that e-mail goes (in our case, we set the default extension as EML) as EML extension record in TRIM, which is, by the way more "reach" in metadata rather than the method when our user do "drag and drop" of email from MS Outlook to TRIM and that record ends up with the MSG extension, loosing some metadata .... I am talking about HPE RM 8.3 ...

Is this still the case?

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I am not sure I understand the question but if you are asking about metadata capture from different methods of filing the email then in 9.3 all Metadata extraction happens in one place and should be the same irrespective of how the email is filed.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
0 Likes

Probably I didn't explain it correctly...

The cc field on saved records using one of these methods (probably drag/drop) were not visible on the emails when user do double click to open the saved email from TRIM...

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If the cc field is not visible using any of these methods in 9.3 I would treat that as a bug.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.