Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Outstanding Contributor.. Ralph_Furino Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Migrating from IDOL OEM to Elastic Search

Jump to solution

Greetings!

I am ready to migrate from IDOL (OEM) to Elastic Search in my organizations 9.2 HF1 production environment.

Is there a way to go back to IDOL if something were to go wrong once you remove the IDOL configuration from Enterprise Studio?

I have thoroughly tested my Elastic Search docuement content indexes, but just want to make sure.... Just in case!

It took me over a week to re-index a copy of my entire database / document store with Elastic Search using numerous VM's.

I just want to make sure that I have a safety net to go back to IDOL... Just in case!  (You never know) 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Erik Wold Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Migrating from IDOL OEM to Elastic Search

Jump to solution

I was able to toggle between an IDOL index and a new Elastic index by updating the Enterprise Studio config manually. All unofficially, and for testing purposes only.

Locate this value in the Enteprise Studio cfg file and manually change the number:

1. <IndexType>2</IndexType>          this is IDOL
  2. <IndexType>6</IndexType>          this is elastic

Once you save the file, you can open up Enterprise Studio and view the options for IDOL (with 2) or Elastic (with 6).

Elastic to IDOL: update the PORT back to your IDOL port number, and add the Server instance name on the Content Index tab (don't create or delete). Just add the text and click OK. Then save and deploy.

IDOL to Elastic: you should just need to update the port and Index Name. Save and deploy.

10 Replies
NZ-TRIM-Experts Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ralph,

I can't answer your question but I'm interested in the reply from Micro Focus on this as well.  Can you tell me though, how did the size of the Elastic index compare to the previous IDOL index?  About the same size?

Chris

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. madether Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

I am also interested in the outcome of this question too.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Ralph, IDOL should still plug into your 9.2 setup so keeping your old index is a good idea. Though the install for IDOL was removed I believe.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes

Jump to solution

Greg... Yes, you are correct. If standing up a new install of CM 9.2, the only option is to install Elastic Search. You do not even have the option to install IDOL. BTW, Elastic Search was extremely easy to set up!

I sort of have a work around (Which worked) but I would like an official response from Micro Focus.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

My Elastic Search configuration is spread across two servers. On each server, the Data directory contained in the elasticsearch directory is about 3.5GB each. (Total of 7GB)

My IDOL index is about 35GB.

Jump to solution

Here is my method to safely go back to my previous IDOL configuration:

• Stop the HPE Workgroup Service on each WGS.
  • Rename the directory HPE Content Manager to something else on each server. (I rename it HPE Content Manager.backup)
  • ***If you can't rename the directory, you may have to stop the service then disable and reboot to rename.
  • Start the HPE Workgroup Service on each WGS then register the dataset and add your WGS.

Configure Elasticsearch to use Content Indexing.

If you have to go back to your previous IDOL configuration, you can stop the service on each WGS and fall back to your renamed HPE Content Manager directory (Follow the instructions in reverse) and you are back in business.

Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ralph,

Thanks for this.  What build of CM - 9.2_9437? 

The Elastic search build - is it the default recommenended by Micro Focus?

Cheers,

Chris

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
0 Likes

Jump to solution

Chris,

I am running 9.2 9438 (HF1) in my organization. Starting in the 9.2 release, when installing a 'NEW' installation of CM, IDOL is not available to install. Elastic Search is the only option. Yes, I guess you would say that Elastic Search is recommended by Micro Focus. Required would be a better terminology--that is If you want to use Document Content searches.

IMHO, Elastic Search is much easier to setup and install than IDOL was. 

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Ralph.  Yes we had come to the same conclusion that ES is required rather than just recommended.

Have a great day!

Chris

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
0 Likes
Highlighted
Erik Wold Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

I was able to toggle between an IDOL index and a new Elastic index by updating the Enterprise Studio config manually. All unofficially, and for testing purposes only.

Locate this value in the Enteprise Studio cfg file and manually change the number:

1. <IndexType>2</IndexType>          this is IDOL
  2. <IndexType>6</IndexType>          this is elastic

Once you save the file, you can open up Enterprise Studio and view the options for IDOL (with 2) or Elastic (with 6).

Elastic to IDOL: update the PORT back to your IDOL port number, and add the Server instance name on the Content Index tab (don't create or delete). Just add the text and click OK. Then save and deploy.

IDOL to Elastic: you should just need to update the port and Index Name. Save and deploy.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.