Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Office 2013 Integration Question

Hi everyone

A curiosity question: is everyone happy with the way integration works between TRIM and Office 2013?

I have an issue with the need to now train (and re-train) users to select a separate HP TRIM toolbar to save new documents to TRIM. The need for more mouse clicks will just increase the desire of users to bypass TRIM because their standard, "just hit the save button or do a CTRL-S" etc, won't call TRIM. Thus, IMHO, users will be more likely not to save to TRIM.

And yes, I know, we can train and educate etc etc but taking away standard functionality... Is it just me that thinks this is a big step backwards?

Maybe I've just worked with TRIM for too long...

Thanks

Michael

0 Likes
19 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks for digging up that info Neil.

Can I just ask, when the developers say that the issue has been "documented" can you tell me where?  ie is it  in the Specification & Limitiation docco.  The reason I ask is while that is a great bible, it's easy to not notice changes in it due to the sheer size & detail of info in that document.

Cheers

Mel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good question Mel!

I'm struggling to find it documented anywhere, other than in a comment in an internal database with a note from the developers that says "...This behaviour is correct and documented..." 😉

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/

If you find this post useful, please use the and/or buttons below.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Our users have had no access to the File Open and Save dialogues for so long now, it is written into our Record Keeping plan lodged with the authorities demonstrating our adherence to legislation. So this is a massive backwards step for us. I can understand that the developers cannot implement the integration using the same approach as before but I'm cynical enough to believe they could find a way to achieve the same objective. Having said that, there well be users in our organisation who will be pleased to be able to use the Recent Documents options in Word etc - at least until the limitations become clear. (i.e. showing a document's temporary location isn't particularly useful). We have enough of a battle to sell the idea of upgrades to our decision makers as it is. This kind of regression makes it that much harder.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Deselect the 'Use separate file open/file save buttons when integrating with version of Microsoft Office earlier than 2013', which is under 'Administration\System Options\Miscellaneous'.  The File Open and File Save icons are removed from Word and hotkeys work.  I tested on Office 2007.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi all,

I've gone through reading all your comments and I couldn't agree more.

Perhaps a slight workaorund I've found, which similar to what Mel said may be pushed with a Tips & Tricks, is to have the TRIM's Save As button added to Word's, Excel's and PowerPoint's quick access toolbar.

See attached image for what I do (the last icon for those who are not familiar with the HP TRIM / RM Add-ins).

Hope this helps anyone out there.

fabio

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 10.44.23 am.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Hi All,

I was going to weigh in and suggest what Fabio has suggested - modify the office toolbar.

I too dislike that users are no longer pointed straight to TRIM/Records Manager from the save dialogue. I've added the save dialogue to my quick action toolbar and have customised the tabs to have the HPE Records Manager tab next to the Home tab to in Word.

Cheers,
Molly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

In the past, I've used the all users run registry to seed a user's profile with a pinned icon, just as demonstrated in the screenshot posted.  Your internal IT staff or consultant should be able to provide a simliar result within your internal network.

Cheers,

Erik

---------
Erik
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

One of our products ("AutoCheckIn") detects when a file hits the user's disk, rather than when they click save - this has the advantage of not relying on the office interface at all, and works with non-office applications.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.