Absent Member.. alexw_1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Outlook integration - no permission to save attachment?

We have a customer using TRIM 6.2.5 with outlook 2007 and the outlook addin.

All users can use TRIM ok from outlook, but one has occasional problems trimming specific emails. The error message displayed is "Cannot save the attachment. You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation".

I believe that I've narrowed this down to a windows permission problem, not a TRIM permissions problem, but have run out of ideas.

It does not occur for all emails, and does occur for some that have no attachment. It's not time sensitive (the problematic emails always fail). Forwarding the emails to another staff member, and having the recipient trim the emails results in success.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Outlook integration - no permission to save attachment?

You seem to have a pretty specific issue here and I think you would be best adviced to open a case with HP Trim Support, and include examples of the emails/attachements with issues. :smileysad:

One question to clarify  - is it just a single user that has problems and are other users able to place the same emails/attachements in Trim without any problem, or do other users have the same problems with the email/attachement.

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM that you are using in all posts)

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.. Donnice Scrimsh Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

We have a similar situation, but have narrowed it down to the "attachments" being a logo on an email signature block.

Our issue effects a single user and is machine specific, all other users are able to "catalogue" identical emails into TRIM, logo and all.  This user is able to go to another machine and the TRIM/Outlook integration works as designed.   

The actual logo is not the issue but "any" logo used in the body of an email.  When logos are eliminated this user is allowed to catalogued emails.

Is there a setting that would somehow would be preventing this user from cataloging emails with logos?

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. Jane Hay Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

I have encountered the exact issue with a specific user (we're on TRIM 7.1.0 1157). Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem? I'd be grateful for any pointers for how to resolve the issue.

thanks

Jane

0 Likes
agrunwell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One of my users has just had this same problem. If they tried to save a received e-mail to TRIM (Catalogue) and saving a new message they where sending (Catalogue on Send).

We are still on Office 2003 & Trim 7.1.1.1821, but you may find the solution to be the same for later office versions  (use the different reg key for Office\nn for your office version)

Our user was also get red X appear in e-mails that have embeded images send/receiving.  This helped me find this solution for our problems

1. Open up regedit (there is a key which shows the location of a hidden folder where temporary files get stored which is different for each user)
  2. Find te value of the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder
  3. Copy and paste the value into a browser  (it might be hidden) - The folder will always have the general path of CurrentUserProfile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK???
  4. Delete all of the items inside this folder

OLK??? - this is different for each user.

Once you clear out the temp files in here, the problem should be resolved.

Cause:

Outlook has a completely hidden folder inside of each user's Temporary Internet Files folder. Outlook uses this folder to cache attachments you open and pictures you receive. As it does this, it will give these files repetitive file names, such as picture(01), picture(02), picture(03), etc. Sometimes, the system will simply run out of available file names, at which point, without warning or explanation, users will be unable to either see pictures, open attachments, etc. This commonly happens to corporate users who receive daily reports with the same name.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. raynebc Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

We ran into similar problems with Outlook in the past, where eventually users lost the ability to open voicemails because there were 99 or so stored in their OLK folder already.  We added commands to our login script (one for each of the versions of Office we have used) to delete them during logon so this wouldn't happen:

for /f "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('"reg query HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security /v OutlookSecureTempFolder|find "OutlookSecureTempFolder" "') do del /f /q "%%bVoiceMessage*.wav"

for /f "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('"reg query HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security /v OutlookSecureTempFolder|find "OutlookSecureTempFolder" "') do del /f /q "%%bVoiceMessage*.wav"

for /f "tokens=2,*" %%a in ('"reg query HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security /v OutlookSecureTempFolder|find "OutlookSecureTempFolder" "') do del /f /q "%%bVoiceMessage*.wav"

You might consider similarly deleting certain files by their extension or even all files.  Usually these aren't important to retrieve unless a user opens an attachment (such as a Word document), edits it and uses "save" to save the edited document into the hidden OLK folder instead of using "save as" to put the document someplace normal.

0 Likes
Highlighted
RobPeacock Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have the same problem with some of our users. They are running Trim 7.1.0.1157 and outlook 2010 and users from this department tend to get a lot more emails with embedded images than our other staff which seem to cause the problem (as opposed to separate attachments)

I have checked their registry settings for the OutlookSecureTempFolder and cleared the files that were there - after logging off and back on the user still experiences the same problems with specific emails (there weren't many files in this location either)

When they go to catalogue the email, they get the initial Trim screen to select from record types and when they click OK here they get an HP TRIM in Outlook box Processing message then Saving Message then get the error - Trim in Outlook Cannot save the attachment, You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation.

As mentioned before, if they forward the email to someone else, the other person can usually Trim the email (same version of Trim). If they forward the email, delete the embedded images and send it on, they can usually trim the email however it's not the original and it's time consuming.

We are going to try getting the use to attach the problem emails to a new email and send it to themselves then catalogue the attachments..This seems to trick trim however further testing is needed to see if this works.

Any further advice on this would be really helpful as it's a onerous and time consuming to try several different ways to trim an email before the user can do so successfully!

Thanks very much

Rob

0 Likes
Matthew D Wilso Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Rob Did you ever find a solution?   One of my users is having the same problem.  I've tried the things that you have already.

0 Likes
RobPeacock Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Matthew, we upgraded to Trim 7.1.1.1828 and this fixed our email issues. Our staff are happy campers.

We did however find in rolling out the client, by default the option when trimming emails that brings up a data entry form for the user to complete is left unticked (both in the client and in the outlook addin).

This has led to a few dramas internally as when you click Catalogue in the trim addin it trims the email/document etc without giving the user any options though it's pretty easy to fix (tick the boxes in Trim Options and Outlook Trim Options)

Kind Regards

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. Jane Hay Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

I've been back and forth with HP support trying to resolve this issue and finally we've gotten a resolution.

Here's what we tried:

granted full permissions to:C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 - no luck

Cleared out temporary files as suggested in this post by agrunwell  - was hopeful, but again no luck

reinstalled Outlook and TRIM - no luck

confirmed full permission to:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Local\Application Data\Hewlett Packard\HPTRIM\TEMP

then finally, we reset the users profile (this was my second last option before a re-image of the machine, both of which I really prefer not to have to do unless nothing else works)

So, for us the profile reset worked and the client is happy.

I have one other client with the same issue. If by some chance a profile reset doesn't work for her I'll repost to let y'all know. I'm just waiting to get the go-ahead from the client before I ask our IT section to reset the profile (not something you want to have done to you without fair warning!)

cheers

Jane

0 Likes
HSE Andy Contributor.
Contributor.

Is it a OS issue i.e. Is the Path/ File name > 256 characters.  Have occasionally seen similar messages (TRIM 624 / Outlook 2003) on opening an attachment from catalogued a message.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.