Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

RM8.1 new license format -how to. Use the existing license key

Hi All
I installed the RM8.1 it asked for the RM8.1 license key format. After contacting the licensing team they siggested I can use my exiting TRIM keys, however could not tell how and where to convert it.

It may be my ignorance however would appreciate if anyone has done the similar and let me know the process.

For the time being I generated the Trial license ( there is a button within the license screen to generate the Trial license)).
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Harry
Tags (1)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I'm pretty sure you need a new license key file.  It uses a different technology.

---------
Erik
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

This is what I thought , however Licensing team mentioned that there is way to use the exiting license. I thought to check on the forum to see how others are doing it.

Cheers,
Harry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yep you will definitely need a new licence key - dat file to be more accurate.

For clients the best option is just to contact their account manager and they can sort out the details.

For business partners they will need to log a case through to HP licensing and they can provide you with the new key.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

They may have been thinking of RM8.0, where the license automatically gets converted from 7.X format when you enter it in the enterprise studio.

8.1 is completely different and will need to be generated by HP.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks Greg / Grundy

I am fully aware of this new license key , however, when contacted the License team they said contact Technical  team.

I understand that this new licensing model is new strategy within HP and may take sometime within HP to get a common understanding.

To keep myself going (the good thing is) I generated the Evaluation license from within the License window. Atleast it gives me until Oct 2014 to settle this license issue which is OK for the time being.

I think RM8.0 licensing model of automatic conversion was ideal without disturbing the POC and etc for these new features.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Harry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yeah, the licensing team is completely separate to TRIM Support/R&D.

I'm guessing the license people just don't realise what's needed now as they probably havn't had any requests for these licenses yet.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: "...when contacted the License team they said contact Technical  team."

Do you happen to have a case number from your contact with the licensing team?

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/

If you find this post useful, please use the and/or buttons below.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

For Licensing we dont need to have a Support number its a different process, however what they explained me (APAJ Licensing person) that to have 8.1 license keys they need to initiate the contract conversion to get the new contract number.

At this stage  we are only in Evaluation phase that's why we decided to use the Evaluation keys  until we decide to GO or NO-GO. Based on that (by that time) we will request the license conversion.

Cheers,
Harry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I agree with Owais's point. Yep -  new licence is required - Yep contact HP for new licence information.

It just needs to be articulated in layman's term. So if or when an existing HP TRIM client contacts HP, we don't get the run around in terms of speak to this person or speak to that person or refer to this documentation (if you can find it) or log a support job/case. It should be very simple and with quick turnaround times.

Additionally, it would be ideal if HP provides a document (perhaps one already exists) that is not a slide show presentation clearly outlining (in matrix format - similar to HP TRIM / Records Manager technical spec) before RM8.1 after RM 8.1 licencing model and the impacts from a budgetary point of view.

On a positive note, I do like how one could easily download RM8.1, install it, and evaluate the product without going through a lengthy process just to get a demo license:). Have attached the licensing setup in TES for R8.1 for your reference.

**My opinions are my own personal opinions.

kapish.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi

It appears that if you take the Evaluation Copy option, TES generates a license (for a limited number of users) that will last two months.

Any idea what happens then?  That is, can you generate a new one when that one expires?

Regards

Pete

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You should be able to extend the eval license 2 more times, giving you a total of 9 months.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.