Highlighted
Absent Member.. BARRINGTON GREE Absent Member..
Absent Member..

RM8 DataPort

hopefully Im not going blind - but when testing the new RM8 dataport,  it looks like 'Split Notes' has been removed from the options when allocating your import file - anyone else come across this? Is it hiding in a different place? . RM8.01  build 6703

Tags (3)
0 Likes
15 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: RM8 DataPort

I only have "notes" not "split notes"

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi there

This option has been removed from DataPort.  I have spoken to the DataPort developers about this option and asked if it could be put back in. 

At their request, I have created a CR (51296) so it can be considered and (hopefully) included in a future release (as you all know we can't make any promises).

Thanks for asking the question and bringing it to our attention.

Cheers

Helen 🙂

Helen Barnes
Content Manager Information Developer
Information Management & Governance
Micro Focus
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Nice one Barnes

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Absent Member.. BARRINGTON GREE Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks Helen

would it be possible also to shed light (documentation)  on the "Bulk Data Loader Record Numbering" feature  in Dataport for RM8.01 ?

The help file is a bit thin on the ground

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I've asked the Devs for more information in regards to the Bulk Loader Record Numbering.  I'll respond here as well as update the help file when I hear back from them.

If there is anything else you've found lacking information on in the DataPort help file, let me know.  I'm always trying to improve the content.

Cheers

Helen 🙂

Helen Barnes
Micro Focus
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Ralph_Furino Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Put the comma delimiter back into DataPort that was taken away from TrimPort!

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hey Ralph

In DataPort, we have provided the ability for organizations to develop their own customer formatters to suit their business requirements without having to rely on the HP RM development team. We went with a Tab Delimiter formatter as a default due to the simplicity of the format.

Adding a CSV formatter to the sample formatters is something we can consider.  I can log a CR but I ask that you provide me some details on how it’s used and why it’s a useful option for (your) organization(s).  If other people support this request, they can “me too” this post and perhaps the power of the people will increase the likelihood of it happening – Greg and I can update the request with the other organizations that support the request (we’ll need your actual contact details though – you can send this via PM).  As always I can’t make any promises but we can ask.

Cheers

Helen 🙂

Helen Barnes
Micro Focus
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Perhaps one of the attached sample (i.e. unsupported) formatters will work for you?

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Absent Member.. TechSvr Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Neil,

Where can I find documentation on how to create a custom formatter?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I think all the information you need is in the DataPort help file. There's a section on custom formatters. Let me know if there's something it doesn't answer and I'll seek more specific information for you.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
Contributor.. recordsmgr Contributor..
Contributor..

CSV format is more standard format for this type of operation.

0 Likes
Contributor.. recordsmgr Contributor..
Contributor..

Almost all is missing from the lack luster documentation such as examples, and architecture overview,   HP Needs to take a look at your competitor to understand just how poorly you are documenting your solution.   Using the help file is so, 80's or early 90's.  Take a look at what IBM does to fully understand proper documentation.  http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSNW2F_5.2.1/com.ibm.p8toc.doc/welcome_p8.htm

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thank you for your feedback in regards to our documentation, we're always keen to get it!

As you may be able to appreciate, my response is going to be somewhat lacking due to company confidentially, standards of business conduct etc. - the IBM (and other company) approach is something we have been looking into for many moons (and are VERY keen to adopt) but due to limitations that are outside of our control it's not something we have not been able to implement and I have no timeline as to when it will happen.

We'll keep pushing from the inside.

Thanks again!

Cheers

Helen 🙂

Helen Barnes
Micro Focus
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Steve Macukat Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Sorry but comma delimiters are evil. They've tripped up many an inexperienced admin. Too often they are used as the laws of grammar dictate and that ruins your uploads. Many applications will split your text data into the next column. Trimport preferred to selectively enclose your titles in quotation marks. Who wants to search and replace 20k record titles?

CSV format is a holdover from the past. Most applications that can export csv will also do tab delimited. Many will offer the choice to specify other suitable alternatives, like the bar character "|“.

On that subject HP can we also drop the semi colon from Location field import / exports? Perhaps let users specify each delimiter type (TRIM has separate delimiters for regular fields and compound fields, like Locations).

The bottom line is never use a delimiter you are likely to encounter in common language.

Sorry about the rant.

🙂

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.