Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Steve Macukat Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Refine Search problems in TRIM RM8.20

Is anyone else having issues with the Refine Search function in RM8.20 ?

We're finding its consistently broken when we start a fresh search with any single one of the criteria below & then
select the Refine Search button (or F7).

• Date Registered
  • Owner Location
  • Favorite Records (via Shortcut Tray or in the Boolean search editor)
  • Any other trays too (Recent Documents, My Containers, Worktray etc.

It happens when the default search editor is "Multi Field".  We'd hate to change the default editor to "Boolean"  because that's too much of a challenge for new users. I love it, but its too hard for many.

I've lodged an enhancement request back when I thought only Date Registered was impacted (HP ref
4652594417).

We're currently testing RM8.20 Build #7591 but we've encountered the problem in #7533 as well.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
12 Replies
NZ-TRIM-Experts Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Refine Search problems in TRIM RM8.20

Hi there,

I assume that your issue is that you have set the Multi Field search as your default, yet to construct a search you are using the Boolean Editor (this must be because the search criteria you specify are not available on the Multi Field form (apart from Date Created).  I have to assume that you have this as a saved search and that your users run this and then refine.

If I follow the same steps as you describe, i.e:

1) Create the search using the Boolean Editor with Date Created, Owner and Favourites

2) Then Refine Search (F7), which will open the Multi Field search form with every field blank

3) Then change the Editor to Boolean and only the Favourites option is now available (for some reason the other fields are now missing)

If that is what you mean by consistently broken then I think you are correct.

I think this might be related to the fact that the Multi Field search form does not support the fields that you are using in your search.  If you switch your search default to be Boolean and do the same search you can also Refine afterwards (it will then come up with all search fields) but when you then try to change the Editor to Multi Field RM will give you a warning saying "The current search is not compatible with the profile search editor.  Would you like to clear it and start with a blank search?"  This indicates that the issue lies in the fact that the Multi Field search cannot handle the fields that you have in the search that you started with.

The issue that you are experiencing is due to the fact that the warning message does not appear when you have Multi Field set as your default and you are trying to refine a search that contains fields not supported by this form.  I think that HP could modify the code such that the warning message also appears in your scenario (at least that would be more user friendly) or such that when you run a Saved Search that was created using the Boolean (or String Editor) that the Refine option will also use the same Search Editor.

In your scenario, when you run the saved search and then change the default Search Editor to Boolean before the Refine you will find that the original search criteria have not been lost. This tells me that the "Clear and start with a blank search" is causing the experience that you have.  I don;t think it is consistently broken but I do think that it is not very user friendly as it does not alert you of the incompatibility of the search fields.

Thank you for the post, I think there may be others who experience similar behaviour.  I hope that this explanation helps and I would encourage you to lodge this as an enhancement request (I am quite positive that HP will report back on your call that this is working as intended 😉

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
0 Likes

Thanks for replying NZ-TRIM-Experts.

This problem occurs in v8.2 with new searches if Multi-Field search is set as the default search.

The search fails with any of the criteria listed whether searched singly or combined with others. I wouldn't attempt to include all those criteria in one search 😉

I hope these explanded examples below clarify it a bit. Each line below is a completely new search...

• Ctrl+F / Date Registered / Refine = broken
  • Ctrl+F / Date Registered & Title (or any other field on the MultiField search dialog) / Refine = broken
  • Ctrl+F / Change search editor to Boolean / Owner Location / Refine = broken
  • Ctrl+F / Change search editor to Boolean / Favorites / Refine = broken
  • Press Favorite Records Tray icon / Refine = broken
  • Press just about any other Tray icon / Refine = broken

Could you try testing these on RM8.2 if you have builds 7591 or 7533 available?

Boolean search is not involved unless the user needs to include a field not covered by Multi-Field search (like Owner Location). The user would then change to Boolean from the bottom of the Multi-Field search dialog (then search criteria / refine / broken).

Note this is not related to user behaviour, it's something very odd that's slipped into RM8.2 . I doubt the developers intended it.

What is interesting is that Refine Search no longer redirects to the Boolean search editor. In v8.1 & earlier all refine searches would redirect to Boolean (except string based searches).

I haven't tested with Saved Searches.

I'll modify the 2nd paragraph in my original post to clarify this involves any single one of the listed criteria (not all of them combined).

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Steve,

I just sent back a couple of versions - 7.35 and the refine search works the same there as it does in 8.2.

Multi field is not supported for refine in any of those versions. If you set your default to string or boolean then you should be in business.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes

Hi Greg, talking to people about this there's some confusion about what we mean by "Refine Search" not being supported for Multi-Field search. The previous behaviour is that when a user attempts to refine a Multi-Field search the Boolean search dialog appears instead & that retains the search criteria. I'm happy with that. There isn't a suitable alternative in 8.2.

I know that Multfield doesn't have the necessarying background coding to go Multified>Refine>Back to Multfield.  It would be nice, but Multified>Refine>Boolean is ok.

(BTW not sure if 8.1 was ok, we didn't notice it then & don't currently have an 8.1 system to test on)

What I'm finding is that more advanced users are starting with "Boolean" or "String" as their default search method and cannot replicate the error.  Its business as usual for them.  Its taking a while to explain to folks that this behaviour is sub-optimal for less advanced users.

Either way, I've submitted an enhancement request so that users with "Multi-Field" set as default search have a solution that allows them to refine their searches. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I see your point, and you could argue that it is a defect rather than an enhancement. 

I just had another look and 7.3 even when you have the multi field as the default, the boolean search is presented when refined.

That is a regression of features

I will update the support case to state that this a potential defect for you. 

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**

Thanks Greg!  Does that increase the odds that it will be looked at in the next release?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

it does, but not necessarily guaranteed.

Seeing that there isn't a work around that I can see, increases it further

Respected Contributor.. Carlduncan Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

I've had another question about refinements. When a user refined and filters by record types they see all in the system even though their access might be limited to a handful.

Given the access control restrict them from seeing/using should that follow with search? Eg. Legal record type for legal system team and development team have the option to filter (don't get results) but is confusing for them.

Carl
Regards,

Carl
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just a note on the original topic - this is with the development team and will be addressed in  a future release.

Carl, yes if access controls have been applied to the record type restricting the user from seeing them then this will also apply to filtering.

Thanks Greg.  Do you think the dev team will be investigating the refine search problems broadly?  Or just the issues as reported?  We've had others pop up.  I'm weighing up whether to report them as we find them.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Steve,

Send me a PM with your email address and we can go over the other issue as well to make sure that they are covered.

0 Likes

Just an update on this issue.  HP have registered two enhancement requests for future releases.

QCCR2D56535 - Refine search blanks the search when using "Date Registered" with Multi-field editor (KM01898902)

Won't get a fix in 8.2.  Scheduled for action in a future release.

QCCR2D57035 - Refine search fails for record searches initiated from Shortcuts when the Default Search Editor (KM01998818)

Scheduled for action in future releases of 8.2 & 8.3.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.