Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

SQL Server connection issue (CM 9.3)

We upgraded to Content Manager 9.3 with the schema upgrade for SQL Server. But when we attempt to launch CM we get the error:

Connection to Content Manager Dataset <DataSet> failed: Login location details are not valid. Press OK to select a different database.

We are trying to troubleshoot whether there is any issue with SQL Server configuration (accounts, permissions, etc.) or CM configuration issues or a combination of both. We have never seen this issue before and are installing the same way as other installs. We have a new SQL Server admin and are running SQL Server using high-availability servers. So not sure if it is not configured correctly or not. Thanks.

0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi

Was the upgrade performed on the same infrastructure using the same windows service account as already in use for 93 etc or were additional changes made ? This may have an effect on the upgrade.
Have you run the Schema | Manage option to check & repair issue items ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Same architecture and service account. Ran upgrade and repair and it shows the schema correctly (like our other installs). This is running on a secure network.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Is access blocked for all users ? If not another user,  could login and check the details for the user trying to login.

Assuming this is not the case.  With a test system, and ensuring a backup of the dataset exists you can try the following:
Launch CM Enterprise Studio,  Select the dataset and select Schema | Manage
The dataset and folders relating to Tables, Views etc will be displayed, at the bottom of the list should be Special Locations, which should include the locations/service accounts used 
select the locations and right click to select check , if these show in red indicating an issue you can then select Repair and then see if the service account can access the dataset.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

OK, we will give that a try. We can't access the system until next week. Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

We checked the locations (service accounts) and there were no errors detected.

Also, I was able to connect directly to the SQL Server using the same service account and could access and query the database. But when we go through TRIM or through our web app (using TRIM .NET SDK) we get the error "Login Location details are not valid."

Here is the connection we use for all other instances that work fine:

using (Database db = new Database())
{
     db.Id = "<DatasetID>";
     db.WorkgroupServerName = "<WorkgroupServerName>";
     db.TrustedUser = "<ServiceAccount>";

We are also getting the following error in TRIMEvent_xx_2020_8_24.log :

Error: An unexpected exception has caused the event processor to terminate. Error connecting to database '<DataSet>' for processor 'PDF and TIF Rendering'. Login Location details are not valid.

What other issues could be causing this?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I think you will need to raise a ticket with the MF CM support team for the first issue.

I would suggest splitting out the 2nd issue to a separate thread, although if you cannot connect via the CM client  using the service account, other services relying on the same account to connect will fail as well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

That’s most bizarre especially if you’re getting the same error with event processing as that is handled using the inbuilt TRIMServices account.

So for it to throw the error on that seems strange. It’s not the typical error of it not being a registered user which can happen when it’s inadvertently deleted. 

Anything in the workgroup server logs? (TRIMWorkgoupxxxxxxxx.log) Maybe try turning on advanced logging in Enterprise Studio and attempt a connection and upload here if you’re comfortable and I can take a look. If you could share the name of the account attempting connection . It should tell us what calls it’s sending to SQL to confirm the account is valid in the TSLOCLOGIN table.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Have you tried setting all WGS to be able to handle Events, just this is required for CM 9.4. Events can be run on specific servers, but the WGS needs to be able to create the Event. I wonder if that is hitting something similar

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM that you are using in all posts)

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi,
Can you check the database using Management Studio. Under your database name -> Programmability -> Types -> User-Defined Table Types. Is the owner of the UriListType object dbo.? If it's not, you can create with dbo as owner via right click and alter the SQL in editor window.
I hope this points you in the right direction to review your database further.
Ensure you have a backup before adjusting your database.
Cheers,
Cam.
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

@_CamH  gave me an idea and I've been able to replicate the issue @CWhite15 

For me it occurs if I delete the ConstructManyLocations stored procedure.

So potentially that procedure (or all) are missing and can be recreated/repaired using the Schema Manage functionality in Enterprise Studio or a permission issue to either that procedure or another area of the db as described above (User-Defined Table Types) which is linked to the Stored Procedures

Outstanding Contributor.

Hi, In addition to fellow peers valuable suggestions and efforts.

1-Have you installed CM9.3 on all workgroup servers and Deployed the configuration successfully post Upgrade.

2-After Successful DataSet Upgrade did you Deploy with Success and ran the post migration steps of security filters etc

3- Upgraded the Client to 9.3 as well and rebooted the Client to take effect the  new dll bindings etc.

To cross check your Workgroup, you can Start the Enterprises Studio - DataSet - Properties and under the SQL Connection test the connection.

Cheers

Cheers,
Harry
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.