Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

SQL Timeout error when publishing configurations using SharePoint Configuration tool.

Hi,

After upgrading to Patch3 in  Content Manager 9.2 patch2, I tried to publish settings using SharePoint configuration  tool to finalize SharePoint integration with Content Manager but when publishing settings i am getting SQL Timeout exception in Configuration tool logs. there is no error/exception message in logs other than this.

I am not understanding how to increase the SQL time out value for Configuration  tool to finalize Settings for SharePoint integration.

If any one knows please share it with me how to deal this issue.

Regards,

Nagendra Koteru

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: SQL Timeout error when publishing configurations using SharePoint Configuration tool.

Perhaps look at increasing the default Dataset connection in Enterprise Studio?  If it's set to default (30 seconds) increase in increments of 1 minute (using 60 as the value for 1 minute).

I do not recommend setting to 0 as that will more than likely have an adverse result on SQL Server performance and keeping searches open for too long (tuning exercise).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor..

Re: SQL Timeout error when publishing configurations using SharePoint Configuration tool.

Hi @mkehl ,

Thank you for your Update.

I tried by Increasing timeout value at Dataset from Minimum Number to Maximum  Number but it didn't helped me to finalize the Settings.

While publishing the Settings i observed that Configuration Tool is failing exactly after 60 Seconds so  this is concluded to me that there is no relation ship between SharePoint Configuration Tool and Data Set for Timeout value.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi  @nagendraK

Are you able to provide any screenshots?

There could be a lot of different points we might need to consider when talking about changing the timeout as we need to understand at which point they break.

Also:

SharePoint – Is that on-premise or SharePoint online?

SQL – where is the SQL Server? Is that on-premise or SQL online?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor..

Hi @mkehl ,

Below are the Logs which are generated by Configuration Tool. After Applying patch-3 i am publishing  metadata Management Settings to SharePoint 2013 using Configuration tool.

3/19/2020 9:31:31 AM ***************************************************
3/19/2020 9:31:31 AM Configuration tool started
3/19/2020 9:31:33 AM Loading the saved settings...
3/19/2020 9:31:33 AM Settings loaded...
3/19/2020 9:31:33 AM Application initialization is complete.
3/19/2020 9:35:59 AM Setting the log file path.
3/19/2020 9:35:59 AM Log file path is set in the config file.
3/19/2020 9:36:59 AM An exception has occurred.
Exception type: System.Exception
Message: Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
Stack trace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Database.DoExecuteNonQuery(DbCommand command)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Database.ExecuteNonQuery(DbCommand command)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Database.ExecuteNonQuery(String storedProcedureName, Object[] parameterValues)
at HP.Integration.SharePoint.Configuration.SQLConfigurationStore.SaveGeneralConfiguration(String configurationKey, String configurationSettingsType, String propertyValue)
at HP.Integration.SharePoint.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.SaveDataStoreSettings(DataStoreSettings dataStoreSettingsToSave)
at HP.Integration.SharePoint.DataStore.ConfigurationTool.Orchestrator.PublishToServers(UpdateProgress UpdateProgress)
3/19/2020 9:36:59 AM Attempting to roll back any servers published so far during the publish process.
3/19/2020 9:36:59 AM Rolled back from all servers.

All  are in  On-premise for Content Manager.

SharePoint 2013 and SQL Server 2016

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi @nagendraK 

Check if this is really a timeout or whether the connection is not able to establish due to firewall or other blockage - ensure that the firewall from CM server to your DB server is configured properly.

If no firewall, then read on...

According to the SharePoint integration installation guide, there is a connection string specified to connect to the configuration database

mkehl_0-1585268309798.png

By default, there is no timeout settings defined and will use the default of 30 secs. To manually extend the timeout settings, we could append the following to the connection string:

“;Connection Timeout=60” 

60 means 60 sec. User may want to adjust that for their requirement.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.