Highlighted
Garandras Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Setting a 'And' for record access control (Trim)

Hi Guys

I am wondering when setting access controls for a document type are we able to make it a and setting.. 

I.e. a user would have to be in group1 and group2 to be able to access a document? 

(I know it sounds a tad crazy but it is making complete sense and will work for our buisness this way)

Tags (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Garandras Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Setting a 'And' for record access control (Trim)

So for a bit more description, incase i am confusing people.. 

Access controls by default are a 'or' feild.. so you can be in group1 or group2 to have access. i am wanting to do a 'and' requirement

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

So what you are suggesting is someone would need to be a member of both groups? Group A and Group B

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Garandras Absent Member.
Absent Member.

yes.

The idea is we can have the two groups 1 with the main users and the 2nd with the main users plus some temp access people. 

Then when the temp access people require access to the document we remove group one from that document, then reinstate it when its done

( I know it makes sense to do it the other way... but i have been knocked back on it ) 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Sorry it is only configurable as an 'OR' policy.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Greg's correct, as usual! 🙂

The only way to implement an "AND" approach is to use referenced access controls. References AC's can be applied from either a record type or classification/category. For instance a user could use the "HR Folder" record type, which would reference the "HR Group". Anything added from any other source (referenced or copied from classification, container, or manually added) would be applied in addition to the reference from the record type. This scenario is very handy for HR areas where you want to ensure a user in HR doesn't go sharing records with anyone in the organization.

Of course the draw back is when the user actually needs to share it! Referenced access controls can only be overridden by the administrator or by changing the underlying object being referenced (such as the record type or classification).

---------
Erik
0 Likes
Rich_Kid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If one of the 'groups' was to be people who hold a particular caveat and that caveat was applied to the document as well as a view metadata access control which was the other group, then to be able to access the document the user would have to hold the caveat and be in the access group.

If there was a limited number of situations where two groups were required it could fit your needs, it certainly would be difficult to manage if you had lots of two group combinations.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.