Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

SharePoint vs. Content Manager electronic file storage

Jump to solution

We are wanting to use the SharePoint Integration with Content Manager, that is, we want electronic files (Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc.) to be stored in Content Manager, but checked out and edited via SharePoint.  It seems that new records added to SharePoint only create metadata stubs in Content Manager, while the actual files are still stored in SharePoint until the records are “relocated” or “archived” into Content Manager.

Is it possible to add and edit files using the SharePoint interface, but have those electronic files actually stored in Content Manager without having to relocate or archive them into Content Manager? 

Can the Content Manager/SharePoint Integration function this way?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Your observations are spot on. Current SharePoint and HP CM / RM integration only stores the metadata in RM/CM leaving the file in SharePoint. This is just the way HP designed, howver you may explore option of

1- Archive the record in CM and Expose the record back in SP, this process may be tricky and still not update the document itself. You may expose the WebClient page and embed into SharePoint Page or redirect etc. This is also not so nice but may work for you . OR

2- You can explore other integration solutions such as TRIMBocX (I work for the company owns TRIMBocX )  which is fully supported with all versions of HP RM and CM with loads of integration features.

For further details you can ping me I will be happy to assist.

Cheers,
Harry

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Your observations are spot on. Current SharePoint and HP CM / RM integration only stores the metadata in RM/CM leaving the file in SharePoint. This is just the way HP designed, howver you may explore option of

1- Archive the record in CM and Expose the record back in SP, this process may be tricky and still not update the document itself. You may expose the WebClient page and embed into SharePoint Page or redirect etc. This is also not so nice but may work for you . OR

2- You can explore other integration solutions such as TRIMBocX (I work for the company owns TRIMBocX )  which is fully supported with all versions of HP RM and CM with loads of integration features.

For further details you can ping me I will be happy to assist.

Cheers,
Harry

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi Gerardj,

Once the record is relocated to CM the only way to access the record from SharePoint is via the search functionality. It isn't possible to have the record in a SharePoint library (and available to use the SharePoint functionality) while the electronic object is stored in CM as SharePoint needs to have complete control of the objects in its libraries.

Thanks,
AG.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.ltbit.com.au
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Thanks Harry.  This wasn't quite what we expected, but we'll see if we can make it work for us.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.