Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Stock properties - how to show created by or registered by

When our users create records, they need to enter the 'author of the document' they are attaching, so we have 'author' field.

However the users often misunderstand the meaning of the field and enter their own name thinking they are the author of the record.

To minimize the misunderstanding I want to show 'Record Created By' or 'Registered By' in the dialog box. But I cannot find it in the stock properties.

Any suggestions how I can display the record property of 'Created By / Registered By' ?

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Normally the properties of a document contain the Author's name and the date it was created.  Once the document is placed into Content Manager, the Author and Date Created fields will automatically be populated, IF you have the "Extract metadata contained within the content of the document" selected in System Options on the Record tab.  

CM Options.jpg

Depending on the type of document you putting into Content Manager, some may not have the Author's Name or Date Created in it's properties, therefor your users will have to manually select the Author and enter the Date Created.

It appears that you already know how to change the names of the fields (e,g, you changed Author to Document Author) so maybe change Author to be Document Creator and change Date Created to Document Creation Date.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It seems like Creator is not available in the property sheet, I assume because it is read-only.  I cannot think of a way to include it in the property sheet.

I was trying to think of a way to insert some help text to tell users what to do with the Author field.  the only solution I could think of was to include a read-only boolean additional field, which is pretty hacky and the checkbox looks a little odd.

helptext.PNG

Blog | Samples | CM SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks @TRIMGuru and @David Churchland for the suggestions to the problems @Peter Madden and I have been trying to tackle.

As Peter mentioned in the OP, the main issue is new staff members not understanding the concept of 'Author' being not the author of the record but rather it should be the author of the document being filed.

We thought that by displaying the current user's name in the dialog box it would encourage the users to enter document author instead.

We might try both changing the label of the 'Author' to 'Document Creator', and also try the System Options to import document meta data as suggested.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for the suggestion @David Churchland , we might resort to having the checkbox help text if the issue persists...

Apart from Creator, is there any other way we could display the currently logged in user? Because ultimately that is going to be the value of Creator field?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I do not believe so.

Blog | Samples | CM SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

You could create a "Provenance" user defined field and add that to the record entry form.

To create a provenance field, search help for "provenance" - probably one of the weirdest features I've come across in CM...

This is what it looks like:

Untitled.png

Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks! Will give that a go.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.