Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Established Member.. TRIMCat
Established Member..

TRIM 7.34: Purpose of Exchange Formatted Email Addresses (in Addition to SMTP Addresses)

Jump to solution

About managing internal locations and the email format:

SMTP Format (e.g. FirstName.LastName@$SecondLevelDomainName$.com.au)

Exchange Format (e.g. /O=$/OU=$/CN=$/CN=$NetworkLogin$)

In addition to that, I notice that the Email Address Search Key is in this format:  $NetworkLogin$@$SecondLevelDomainName$

Internal users to the Organisation have two email addresses, with the Exchange one as default. 

Are there any effects of removing the Exchange Address and just making the SMTP one the default?

Examples may be (I don't know, just high level guesses):

• Searching Internal Locations
  • Managing ghost locations
  • If deleting or merging existing locations
  • Recognition of internal locations (though I think this is just a check box, perhaps there are other things that operate on the Exchange/ Network Login based format?
  • Recognition in Outlook-TRIM interactions in cataloguing emails to pick up the default Author/Creator correctly if  (again, I think this is mapped separately through the Contacts section)

Or - any other guesses?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: TRIM 7.34: Purpose of Exchange Formatted Email Addresses (in Addition to SMTP Addresses)

Jump to solution

The Outlook integration uses the Exchange format e-mail address to find a match when someone's cataloguing an e-mail from another staff member. The theory is in that situation the internal-only e-mail header will only include an exchange address not an SMTP one.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
5 Replies
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TRIM 7.34: Purpose of Exchange Formatted Email Addresses (in Addition to SMTP Addresses)

Jump to solution

Make the SMTP one the default but keep the internal exchange format.  It'll help reduce the number of ghost locations.  There really is no other good reason to keep it.

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The Outlook integration uses the Exchange format e-mail address to find a match when someone's cataloguing an e-mail from another staff member. The theory is in that situation the internal-only e-mail header will only include an exchange address not an SMTP one.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks EWillsey.

Do you happen to know the details of:

• Why the Exchange format helps in translation of Ghost Locations?
  • What relationship the email search key has to the management of locations (e.g. how is it constructed and where is it functionally used?

The help file says that the E-mail address key is created by TRIM when "you create an email address", and that TRIM converts the email addresses to an address key for "ease of use and searching". The search uses the email address key  for searching.

This brings these questions to mind (perhaps relevant):

1. What do they mean by ease of use?

2. The search function is used not only in client searching, but is also used in many other functions that use searching as an underlying function.

3. The email component of the TRIM Location Search Form has never made sense to me, given that it doesn't contain the "e-mail address" field, but the e-mail search key, which doesn't seem to be in an intuitive format.

"HP TRIM uses this* e-mail address key for searching, not the e-mail address itself - as other addresses, for example, MS Exchange can be very complex. HP TRIM converts all e-mail address keys to a format similar to that of an Internet mail address. "

(Where "this" is the email address key.)

How can HP TRIM convert "all" email addresses - to a similar format, since customers may have e-mail addresses in several different formats. By the way this reads, it seems to just be a single email search key.

Any further information/ideas would be great.

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Neil. Thought it might be something like that with the internal emails.

Still curious about the email search key though.

0 Likes
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sorry, some what misspoke earlier.  Was assuming you were only curious about the exchange formatted emails when looking at non-internal locations.  Most of the times I've been asked it's because there are unknown locations created during the cataloging of emails.  Not all sites will have evey user entered into TRIM, and then when email is captured it won't find those email addresses (because they were never actually on a location to begin with).

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.