Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Established Member.. TRIMCat
Established Member..

TRIM 7.34 Spec: CPU: Define "Business Class Processor"?

Jump to solution

TRIM 7.34 Specifications and Limitations document states that the 32 bit thick client requires a "Business Class Processor".

What is this, specifically?

Here's some information I'm currently evaluating regarding performance of the 32 bit TRIM 7.34 thick client on tablets with this CPU:

Intel Atom Z2760 @ 1.80GHz

Clockspeed: 1.8 GHz,

No of Cores: 2 (2 logical cores per physical)

Other names: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z2760 @ 1.80GHz

CPU Launched: Q2 2012

For reference, here's the performance comparison on cpubenchmark.net.

- Posted by another member of the team (not Mick Regan)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: HP's Official Line on Business Class Processor Still Unclear & Additional Cost for Web Clien

Jump to solution

I can say with confidence that a 'business class processor' would not include tablets.

Like i mentioned earlier, if it is a full version of Windows then there is no reason why it wouldn't work. You would just need to confirm by running some testing.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
9 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: TRIM 7.34 Spec: CPU: Define "Business Class Processor"?

Jump to solution

I wish I knew. HP have been quoting this requirement for years without actually defining it. Presumably because they don't want to get drawn into arguments about specific processor specs, which would certainly happen if they did list minimum or recommended processors.

I think it'd be fair to say if your processor is capable of running all your other business applications it'd be capable of running a 32-bit HP TRIM/HPRM client. TRIM is, after all, developed on the assumption it'll be run on a PC in an office alongside other business applications.

If you want to run a TRIM/HPRM 32-bit Windows client on a tablet, try it and it might work. If not, try one of the browser-based interfaces such as WebDrawer/Web Client.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

What might be more important here is which operating system are you testing against?

Tablets, in most cases do not run on a full version of Windows (which is required to run the TRIM client).

You might be better off testing them against the Webclient.

To answer your question though, AMD and Intel make the business class processors:

For example

http://products.amd.com/en-us/BusinessClassDesktopResult.aspx?f10=true

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

"What might be more important here is which operating system are you testing against."

Replace testing with production, though it's 32 bit Windows 8 Pro.

Edit: That should have read "Windows 8 Pro" not "Windows Enterprise 8 Pro"

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

As Neil already mentioned, test it out and see how you get on.

7.34 would not have been validated against a tablet, so give it a try and see how you get on.

0 Likes
Established Member..

HP's Official Line on Business Class Processor Still Unclear & Additional Cost for Web Client

Jump to solution

There appear to be a number of challenges with performance on a tablet, though these are not necessarily constraints of TRIM. I'm trying to understand whether a tablet would fall in or out of the HP minimum specifications for CPU, so that I know whether this device is supported.

The reason I'm not clear on whether this is considered as a business class processor is because this tablet is one of the only tablets that is currently marketed as an enterprise tablet.

Web Client would be an obvious use case for a tablet, however it's not licensed in this particular environment, so it would be at an additional cost.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: HP's Official Line on Business Class Processor Still Unclear & Additional Cost for Web Clien

Jump to solution

I can say with confidence that a 'business class processor' would not include tablets.

Like i mentioned earlier, if it is a full version of Windows then there is no reason why it wouldn't work. You would just need to confirm by running some testing.

Grundy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

I think I told R&D off for this statement a few years ago too...
It doesn't actually mean anything and I havn't seen anyone else use this statement.

If you search for 'business class processors', no one brands any CPUs as 'business class'. At least not when I checked a couple of years. It's just a marketing term and doesn't specify anything about the performance of the CPU!

I just searched my old emails, I raised this with R&D on 25th August 2011... lol...
My suggestion was to use something more generic like "Current or previous generation Intel or AMD CPU."

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Established Member..

Suggested: Basic Generic CPU Spec

Jump to solution

Sounds like a good idea Grundy, though perhaps something other than current. Including the basic generic spec of the CPU would help.  E.g. Brand/s, Cores, Speed. As technically, the tablet CPU is a current generation CPU as far as TRIM 7.34 is concerned; they're both from the same era.

- Posted by another member of the team, not Mick Regan.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Grundy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Suggested: Basic Generic CPU Spec

Jump to solution

Really your tablet will run TRIM fine, the issue you'll come up against is that TRIM isn't designed with touch interfaces in mind, so most of your normal tasks wont be useable.

Performance wont be the limiting factor.

For this reason, I'd suggest looking at the new RM8 Web Client or Kapish goTRIM, both of which are designed for touch interfaces, though obviously you lose most functionality over the full client.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.