Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Matthew D Wilso Absent Member.
Absent Member.

TRIM 7 Viewer Control Seems To Ignore Rendering Settings.

Hi guys.  This one's well off-charter, but this is probably the best place to ask.

We have an in-house app which uses TRIM (soon to be v7) for managing business documents.  We also have some legacy documents stored in blobs in a database.  We're using the TRIM viewer active x control to view both kinds.   The legacy documents are a mixture - some PDF, some XML tranlated into PDF on the fly, and some in word 2003 xml format.  The last sort are stored with the suffix "xml", but this doesn't make a lot of difference to what follows.

Using TRIM 6, all was peaceful and there was happiness across the land.  We had TRIM set up to view things like DOC and XML files in an internet explorer plug-in, and these would appear nicely laid out in the viewing frame of our application (which embedded the TRIM viewer and added some tabs so users could manage multiple documents).  Things were pretty good.

The TRIM Viewer ActiveX control that comes with TRIM 7 behaves a little bit differently.  It seems to ignore the "use internet explorer plugin" option.  In fact, it seems to be ignoring ALL view settings.  Its logic seems to be as follows:

(1) try rendering it using the built-in TRIM viewer

(2) if that doesn't work, display an empty frame and fire up an external application

(3) if that doesn't work, fail.

The (bigger) problem for me is that those Word/XML documents (I believe they're a 2003 format) don't appear to be one of the formats understood by the built-in document renderer, so our application displays an empty frame while word fires up in a separate process.  The more general problem is that we don't have any control over the way documents are viewed at all.  Even PDFs are only displayed according to the built-in viewer - acrobat isn't even being asked to render them.

Has anyone else had any experience with the new TRIM 7 TRIMViewer control?   Have you noticed this change?  Is there some extra information that I need to be passing to the control to get it to use the normal application Viewer settings? 

Incidentally, I our application is a java/swing client-server app.  We use jintegra to bridge java and com (and active x).  That approach has always worked well.  I have reproduced this behaviour using C# and studio 2008 though, because I didn't want the java question clouding the issue.

Thanks 🙂

Matt

0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: TRIM 7 Viewer Control Seems To Ignore Rendering Settings.

Ok, I ran ProcessMonitor and found out that it's still using the TRIM5 registry keys to retrieve the viewer config.  See attachment.

So I'm able I get the behavior I want now on my dev machine - I just need to translate that success to our citrix environment ...

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Ignore that last message - I was testing against the wrong installation.

According to process monitor, the TRIM 7 active x control doesn't look in the registry for viewer settings at all, whereas the TRIM 6 control does (as shown by that previous attachment).

Does anyone know of any kind of mysterious option that tells the TRIM viewer to use its settings?

Ta!

Matt.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

A bit more testing (in C# / VS2008)  tells me that the behavior is different depending on whether I create a TRIMViewer component and call view (or viewex) versus calling the viewUI() method on a TRIM record.  Unfortunately, all of our code uses the former.

I'm submitting a case.  I think I've got as far with this as I'm likely to 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.. CousinVinnie Contributor..
Contributor..

Matthew,

No sure if this help. As far as I know, the activeX component is OLD and exists only for backward compatibility (correct me if I am wrong guys). It will use the COM API methods and hence all the references to TRIM5 stuff

Have you try to use the SDKUI?

Cheers,

Vinnie

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.