Highlighted
Sten28 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

TRIM 7 on SQL 2016?

I understand TRIM 7 is beyond obsoleted, but thought I would reach out for people's thoughts/opinions/suggestions on the approach below.

I am looking to upgrade an existing 7.3 dataset to 9.1 - as part of this, the database will need to be migrated from SQL 2008 to a version compatible with 9.1.

I would like to migrate the 7.1 database to a SQL 2016 platform first, before the upgrade takes place. I am also wondering if I should set the database up with compatibiltiy mode, while it is still v7, or leave it as native 2016.

I know this is unsupported given that a.) TRIM 7 is past end of life and b.) the product was not validated against SQL 2016 (which did not exist at the time). But I am hoping that, so long as the database works in 2016, it should be sufficent for a few weeks, before it's upgraded to 9. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Sten28 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: TRIM 7 on SQL 2016?

I think I have found my answer through some old threads. Although they are geared towards SQL 2012/2014, I think the message would the the same for 2016.

Upgrade SQL Server along with RM Servers

Is TRIM 7.3.3.5670 compatible with SQL-Server 2014?

0 Likes
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

It works perfectly fine on 2016, in my experience.

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Tends to be pretty rare that the version of SQL impacts the version of TRIM. So should be fine

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.