Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

TRIM Word Indexes

Hi All,

Im relatively new to the TRIM admin role and im just going through Word Indexes.  Is there anything i should be looking for / doing with these idnexed words?

I've been told to look for spelling mistakes and fix the records that have this in the title.  Is there anything else i should be doing?  I've notice a number of indexed words have a quite a high usage count.

Sorry if its a silly question! Just learning as i go and thought id ask on here!

Thanks

Matt Hunter

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TRIM Word Indexes

Hi Matt, 

It's not a silly question at all!

There are many things you can do to improve your word indexes, both for indexing speed and search performance and some of this leads to better results for users too.

One thing to watch out for, like you mentioned, are words that appear very often in your index.

Some words can become so comman that they become useless to search on and can provide meaningless results because the user has so many records returned in a search.

They can also slow down word indexing in the background and make searches run slower.

There is already a common set of words that fall into this category, such as 'AND' 'THE' 'THIS' 'THAT' etc...

We provide a basic list of these words which should be imported as 'Noise Words' into TRIM.

Beyond this, any words that aren't in this default list that start appearing many tens or hundreds of thousands of times should also be considered for addition to the Noise Word list.

This is more of a case by case thing depending on your data, so have a look at which words are appearing the most and think about how usefull it might be to get them out of the index.

If users are searching on these common words, they will just be getting slow and bloated results, which isn't fun for anyone. 🙂

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.