Absent Member.. Brigitte Stephe Absent Member..
Absent Member..

TRIMWatcher?

What is TRIMWatcher and how does it work.
0 Likes
13 Replies
Erik Willsey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: TRIMWatcher?

Brigitte,

Here's the scope on TRIMWatcher from the help file:

TRIMWatcher is a process activated by a TRIM application and designed to monitor when files are created, modified or deleted on a client computer.

It is triggered by the TRIM Software Development Kit (SDK), and sits resident until the client logs off the computer.

Its main purpose is to provide dynamic refresh capabilities to HP TRIM compliant applications using the SDK.

TRIMWatcher has no data recording functionality.

Once started, TRIMWatcher will continue to run until the current Windows session is closed.

Citrix launched Offline Records - you can enter a registry key (dword) to stop TRIMWatcher whenever Offline Records is closed. This prevents unused sessions in Citrix from being kept open inadvertently:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TOWER Software\TRIM5\TopDrawer\AllowUnload=1".

Does this help?

Cheers,
Erik
0 Likes
Erik Willsey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also, here's a thread in this forum that talks about it. Scroll to the bottom...

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1274521
0 Likes
Novice008 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm trying to learn more about Trimwatcher, and you provided a link that does not appear to work.  Any other way to access the posting?

0 Likes
Novice008 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can Trimwatcher be turned off and if so, how, and what are the implications of turning it off?

0 Likes
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

TRIMWatcher is required if you use the Edit feature.  You should not disable it.

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
0 Likes
Grundy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

There was a registry key to allow unload of the TRIMWatcher process, but this was intended for Citrix environments only.

(You get tons of TRIMWatchers running due to the way user sessions are run)

It should not be turned off otherwise.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. raynebc Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

If you disable Trimwatcher and check out a record with the "Edit" option, does it just permanently leave the record checked out until it's manually checked in?  Is not checking it in automatically the worst thing that happens, or does it do anything else such as disable the Edit feature?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Try it on a test machine and see what happens. I suspect you might see error messages...

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
Grundy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I'm pretty sure the AllowUnload key just kills the TRIMWatcher process once TRIM is closed. (Normally it keeps running)

So if TRIM is open, the check-in, check-out and edit functionality should still work.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
0 Likes
LostKiwi Contributor.
Contributor.

One WIndows 10 the TRIM Watcher service runs with the service: HPE Records Manager Offline Records Agent. 

I am having trouble where sometimes excel documents do not check back in. I am guessing the TRIMWatcher.exe has expereinced a problem while the document was checked out and is unable to check back in. 

The service doe restart itself if it crashes, although it cannot check back in documents that were already checked out. 

Does anyone know where to find the error logs for this service. I am just starting the search. 

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. christopher cri Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

When you open a document using (RMC) Edit Content Manager checks the document out to offline records and opens the appropriate editing application. TRIM Watcher is started and looks at the document (every 20 seconds, I think) to see if the editing application has finished with the document. When the document is no longer being used then TRIM Watcher checks it back in.

HOWEVER! MS Office applications hold onto the document even after the changes are saved and the document closed in the editing application. TRIM Watcher wont know to check the document back in until the MS Office application itself is closed. If the user saves the changes and forgets/minimises the MS Office application.  Later they shut down windows to go home, TRIM Watcher is then closed before it can check the document back in. The document will then NEVER be checked in unless the user realises what has happened and manually checks it back in.

LostKiwi Contributor.
Contributor.

Thanks Chris.

I found out that the time it takes to check back in can be altered in the registry settings. We found that it was not checking document back in at all once, so we allowed more time for the checkin and it worked. 

What I really want to know is what may cause the TRIMWatcher to crash in our enviroment? If it crashes, RM does restart the service, although it will not check in document that were previously checked out. We can work with this, although it would be good to make sure that we arent crashing the service by another system process or service. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

TRIMWatcher isn't a service, it's an executable. It's started automatically when it's needed. After a few minutes of inactivity it closes again. Maybe it's not crashing at all in your environment.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.