Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

To HPRM8.2 or to not HPRM8.2?

After attending the IGF in Perth on Tuesday I am very excited about HPRM8.2. To the point that I walked into the boss's office and said we should can our upgrade to 8.1 (planned to happen in a month or so).

I need to spend some time weighing up pros and cons, ad then I'll have the support of management for whatever I decide.

I just wanted to get opinions from users of 8.1 & 8.2?

The good, the bad, the ugly?

I've gone through release notes and have had a browse of these forums just to get a general idea of everyone's feelings. However if anyone wanted to throw their two cents in that would be great.

Thank you!

~*~
Current Build: 9.0.4.488
My comments, views, opinions etc. are a reflection of myself and no-one else
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi, Same dillema here... from HP RM8.1 to HP RM8.1 Patch 3 or to HP RM8.2 or to HP RM8.3 (Released in November 2015) Anyway, so you the one who won the Itunes $50 card there on Tuesday if I am not mistaken ? Initially, I was the one who received the message you are the winner, followed up with "sorry incorrect number" The Rachael won it... Regards
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hey guys/girls,

I've had a lot of interest in going to 8.2 over here in Melbourne and personally I'm a HUGE fan of some of the new features.

Some clients have basically said the same thing "We're going to 8.2!".

At the moment, there are a couple of known issues that have already cropped up, and the other big issue you will need to consider is the large number of changes to the SDK.

The SDK changes mean that many 3rd party modules and customisations may be broken (again!).

This is currently the biggest hold-up for 8.2 over here that I can see.

In the mean time, you will need to remember that this is a .0 release, meaning you are taking on the risk of finding all the 'unknowns' if you go live with it first.

There's a still a chance HP nailed it and it will be a relatively stable release, but based on prior experience with .0 builds, I would wait for a service pack.

Alternatively, you can try and trust the new 'Patching' features and go with 8.2.0 and hope all fixe needed come in the new patch format! 😉

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I agree with Grundy that HPRM 8.2 is much stable however would require some decent testing and change management and for that efforts rewards are great as well in terms of new features.  In my personal opinion, I see new patches and realease as an ongoing thing. This is same what we do in Windows  environment, Oracle Databases, SAN etc. So this HPRM is no different, you can certainly ask HP but there will be NO 100% Perfect release ever( if anyone wants to bet on that, I am happy to take that bet).

We all have seen Customers waiting for an "ideal" release to come out and that never happens in Software world. If you do the maths you will see that waiting for another release or patch while running unsupported version is no good to anyone. I have Customers running 7.1 and even 6.5 and waiting for an Ideal bug free release, they have been paying way extra on their Unsupported releases , making workarounds, paying Vendors to keep writing their Custom code etc for that old release to keep it going.

Instead of all that time wasting efforts, you can take the HPRM 8.2 base release and start planning and testing. The feedback you will get from the users is important and they will become a part of the new release as well. Once you migrate, HP is there to support you for your critcal errors and giving a helping hand.

In Summary, my personal suggestion is ,dont wait anymore go for RM8.2 and start your Test Env soon to get onboard wih HPRM8.2.

Cheers,
Harry
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

8.2 contains sufficient changes to warrant evaluation sooner rather than later. This gives the opportunity to check out what new functionality to implement, update user documentation and test plans. So we expect to upgrade our Dev environment, check it out, upgrade the user documentation including test plans. We will then check out our implementation plan by upgrading Test, getting feedback from users and doing the majority of the testing. This could take some time so we would be unlikely to implement 8.2.0. We expect to wait a bit longer for 8.2.1 before giving that a quick test and then upgrading Prod. The time consuming work will have already been done so upgrading Prod to 8.2.1 should be done pretty soon after its release. Cheers Pete
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Have put 8.2 build 7591 in our dev environment. One issue which has been logged, is with mixed environments. Example: PC client with 64-bit OS Window 7 with 32-bit MS Office products and 32-bit HPRM client (WGS is 64-bit): import/export function fails. I think I have have seen others discussing this issue. Fix will be in a future release.  Work around of course is probably not to mix 32 and 64 bits components.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I've completed some test upgrades with 8.2.0 latest patch and still finding some bugs, and some things I don't like too, but over all it could be feasible for a production upgrade for most sites.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

I agree, no major issues, but now, we are packaged and testing the Patch 1 build.. HP RM8.2.0.7591 Not sure what will we do with malfunctioning DATAPORT (Export/Import) .... we need that one functional as well. regards
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.