Trusted Contributor.. JanineK Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Unknown Locations

Hi Everyone - Just wondering if anyone has the 'Convert all recipients to contacts for the record' turned on? Do you have problems with large numbers of 'unknown' locations being created and if you do, how are you managing those unknowns? (i.e. ignore them/staff member monitors and fixes the unknowns.... Thanks in advance! 
0 Likes
5 Replies
HeatherM1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Unknown Locations

CM 9.2., Build 9630, Patch 1, Hotfix 1

Hi JanineK,

I've got "Create contacts from email recipients" turned on (System Options > Email Records), so we do end up with unknown locations being created on a daily basis. 

As the administrator, I run a daily search for all unknown locations and convert them.  We can get up to 50 unknowns being created a day, which is manageable.  I like to fix them so that users can take advantage of recursive searches when looking for all records from a particular contact. 

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Thanks Heather. That's interesting to know. We did the same at a previous organisation I worked for however it was a much smaller site compared to where I am now - I'm concerned the unknowns could potentially become unmanageable. How many active users do you have in the system? Just so i can do a comparison, and also have you found processing the unknowns impacts on the performance of the system at all? (If i remember rightly we had to do them after hours for performance reasons)

Thanks so much for the information. 

Janine

0 Likes
HeatherM1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

We've got approximately 110 active users.  I haven't noticed any impacts on performance when I process the unknowns.  I generally do it around 9 am every morning, which means the bulk of our users are working with CM and no-one's ever reported any system slowness to me (and they're not shy about raising issues!).

Where possible, I'll tag a bunch of the same type and convert them in one go and there are no appreciable performance issues.  It might be a different story if there were hundreds of unknowns to be fixed, though. 

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Fantastic. Thanks for much for that information - very much appreciate it! 

0 Likes
TRIMWatcher Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

You will have two kinds of 'unknowns', which does not make it any easier.

Some will be those created whenever an email or the like gets registered and the author field is populated and the user does not attempt to locate a correct matching entry. They are going to be the External Location and should feature a red box with a silhouette inside. You should have some sort of additional details - an email address or address that is unique.

The others are the unknown 'unknowns' - don't laugh. They are the question mark with the silhouette. They can be generated by activity like scanning or voicemails and unless you really feel that you need to identify them they could be swept up in one go and merged with a single instance of Unknown that you have for that purpose.

I also had to create a user called 'CREATED, in error' to manage authors for those items as well. What you don't want is a location search that includes any items that person has indicated are not required.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.