Highlighted
Absent Member.. dot Absent Member..
Absent Member..

User Category and Access Controls

Jump to solution

We have the majority of our users assigned to the User Category of End User, which by default does not allow users to Delete Records. We use Access Controls to define who has access to what areas of the FilePlan.

We have set up an area in the FilePlan which we require End Users to be able to Delete Records from, but obviously still denying them the ability to Delete Records form the rest of the FilePlan.

To enable our users to Delete Records from the "open" area, we have changed the End User permissions to allow End Users to Delete Records. To deny the End Users the ability to Delete Records from any other area of the FilePlan we changed the Access Controls on the other areas of the FilePlan for Can Delete to only Information Workers/Admins.

Unfortunately while this allows the End User to delete from the "open" area, they still have permission to Delete Records in the rest of the FilePlan. Does anyone have any suggestions one what we need to do to get the permission working as we require?

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: User Category and Access Controls

Jump to solution

Ah!  You are changing the wrong setting.  Changing the access control of "Can Delete" applies to the CLASSIFICATION TERM and not to the records associated with the classification term. 

In the first page's screenshot the "Delete Record" access control needs to Power User with copy style of "referenced".  Please test this as I'm suspecting you don't fully understand the consequences of setting up your system this way (users will no longer be able to move documents from one folder placed in this term into another folder).

Cheers,

Erik

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
7 Replies
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Dot,

You need to look at how you defined the copy style of the access controls applied to the file plan terms.  You need to ensure that the "delete" access control has a copy style of "reference".  Setting it to reference means that all objects (records) associated with that term will have their original access controls PLUS anything you've now defined on the access control.  If you don't set this then only new objects get the setting.  Can you verify which option you have selected?

Be aware that restricting the delete access control will also prevent the user from moving a document from one container into another.

Cheers,

Erik

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Erik.

The Default Records Access for the non "open" area of the FilePlan is defined as Everyone, Not Referenced, Copy To Item and the Access Controls for the Can Delete function is Information Workers and Everyone for all other settings.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

"Access Controls for the Can Delete function is Information Workers and Everyone for all other settings."

This must have the copy style of "referenced".  I can't make out from your response if that's how it's defined.  I'm guessing not?

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Sorry I'm obviously not quite understanding your question I've attached a document with the setting for our non "open"  FilePlan - Hopefully this clarifys your question - it not let me know!

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ah!  You are changing the wrong setting.  Changing the access control of "Can Delete" applies to the CLASSIFICATION TERM and not to the records associated with the classification term. 

In the first page's screenshot the "Delete Record" access control needs to Power User with copy style of "referenced".  Please test this as I'm suspecting you don't fully understand the consequences of setting up your system this way (users will no longer be able to move documents from one folder placed in this term into another folder).

Cheers,

Erik

---------
Erik
CMRamble.com
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

That makes sense - To be honest we've been trying different setting to try and get this working as we wanted but have been going round in circles.

I will try changing the Default Record Access for Destroy/Delete Record tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Erik your suggestion gave us the functionality we were looking for. We will take on board your comments re disabling Ened User delete permissions will stop them being able to move docs from one folder to another - we're going to discuss this with our records manager later today.

Thanks again for your help :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.