Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. AnnieO Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Users unable to edit a word record in CM

Hi,

We are having a problem at the moment where users open CM records as an edit they make their changes and click save icon then go to close the word. Users are then prompted with a message saying the record is not saved and if they would like to save, don't save or cancel. If the user closes the document the changes aren't saved. We initially had this problem with one user but now I've got more users with this problem. I've been told that it something to do with a Microsoft character limit when the record is checked out to offline records the combination of the user name/title/container is too long.  If users shorten the title of the record this should allow them to edit without a problem.

We've been using a workaround of getting users to open the record as an edit and clicking save to test that they can save before they start editing the record and also shortening the title but the users aren't happy with this.

Does anyone have some ideas on how we can fix this problem?

Cheers

Jade

0 Likes
4 Replies
Jamie Smith Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Users unable to edit a word record in CM

What is the base path for the offline records on the  users' machines?  It is normally something like 'C:\Users\jamie.smith\Documents\Offline Records (92)'.  This is fairly short and leaves a lot of room for length record names, but with network logins/roaming profiles etc, this can sometimes be a rather length path to a directory buried deep within a network share.

If the base path is really long, then changing it to something shorter or mapping the network path to a local drive may help avoid the problem.

0 Likes
Member.. Miss4or
Member..

I also have had multiple instances of this occurring - started around 2 weeks ago.

However I dont think ours is related to the file path length as other users are able to access and edit the document with no issues.

The person reporting the issue is also able to save the exact same document locally and then drag that over the top of the document in CM to make a new revision. They are then able to edit the document with no issues.

Version 9.3 Patch 1.

0 Likes
Sten28 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

This is a strange one.. in regards to long file names, CM is supposed to truncate the path to avoid this from occurring (Specification Guide excerpt below).

So, there must be something else disrupting this - however, I can't see a way to generate this consistently.

Others have mentioned that having a tilde (~) in their title somewhere can be a leading cause - curious to know if anyone else has seen a pattern here?

- Offline Records file path lengths – maximum lengths supported by applications - different versions of Office and other applications have different file path length limits. When a user saves a document in Offline Records, the maximum number of characters is determined according to the application limit. The document name will be truncated at whatever it needs in order to not exceed the applications total file path length limit. For example in Excel, the file path length is set at 201 characters including the full Offline Records path, such as C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Offline Records (03)\folder name\document name.xls.
- Offline Records and Microsoft Word file names - in MS Word, the file names include the path as part of the file name and are limited to 256 characters. This is a MS Word field length limitation.Therefore, when you attempt to save a file using Offline Records and you make the file name too long, Word truncates the name to fit the 256-character limit.
0 Likes
NebRellim81
New Member.

Has this only started in the past few weeks?

I have noticed since some recent Microsoft updates that the PID handle against the application (word, excel etc) have been dropping mid way through edits, which is causing TRIMWatcher to check the document back in automatically, and users having to back-capture from offline records.

The Autocheckin.log and online audit log may assist in seeing if this behaviour is also happening to you.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.