Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Fred Patterson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Using TRIM Workflow, send a Purchase Order activity forward to employee's correct supervisor

Using TRIM Workflow, I wish to send a Purchase Order forward to next activities to Accounting Office and to the respective supervisor of the person creating the PO.  Accounting is easy since it is the same location for everyone, but different people have different supervisors so it seems like I need to pick up the supervisor’s contact in the person’s record instead of a list of supervisors (having the correct supervisor “acquire”).  This seems like a fairly simple concept but I can’t figure out how to get the correct supervisor.  Any help will be appreciated.  fredp  

Tags (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Using TRIM Workflow, send a Purchase Order activity forward to employee's correct supervisor

Have you tried leaving the responsible location blank for the activity that goes to the supervisor? Perhaps the person creating the PO can fill in their own supervisor's name.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
Absent Member.. dot Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Using TRIM Workflow, send a Purchase Order activity forward to employee's correct supervisor

We had a similar workflow scenario earlier this year. Unfortunately I do not think there is any way to conditionally set the supervisor within the workflow. :smileysad:

We have found the workflow facility to be useful, but limited in its use as it is a fairly basic workflow management tool, so trying to do anything slightly complicated (like conditionally setting a supervisor) is either impossible or requires a number of additional activities to be added to the workflow to provide the required functionality.

0 Likes
Sander Hoogwerf Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

For the workflow you can also create addins and in there you could populate the correct supervisor.

Haven't done something like this, but should be possible.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
0 Likes
shulin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I also have a similar workflow need to implement the similar functionality - conditionally set the supervisor within the workflow.

I have tried all of your suggestions, and here are my questions:

I think NeilSummers and Sander's idea is creating an 'Additional Field' for filling in the correct supervisor. But, after I tried, this additional field seems to have no connection to any of the properties on workflow activity. I know, you said 'perhaps', 'possible', but I am really hoping this will work out. So, please correct me if I am wrong; and please provide more detail if I'm missing/ misunderstanding something here.

Also question for Dot,
I actually got a response from TrimGuru 2 weeks ago (at the old forum place). He suggested maybe I could try to add one more activity for assigning the proper supervisor -- which could be one of the solutions. However, I am also curious about how you implement your workflow on this issue. I also tried breaking down this activity to server activities, but could not make it work out  properly.  Could you give me a brief structure introduction to this particular activity of your workflow? Thanks.

And, I appreciate all your ideas on this issue!

0 Likes
shulin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry, I meant "several activities" not "server activities".

0 Likes
Absent Member.. dot Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi.

Yes we basically did what TRIMGuru2 suggested to you - we added an activity to our workflow to send the information in question "back" to the applicable supervisor. i.e. For the new activity we the user had to manually add the assignee, where the assignee was in fact the applicable supervisor.

This was obviously not ideal as it meant additional steps had to be added to our workflow, however this was the only was in which was could get the workflow to operate in the manner required.

Obviously, like you, I'm interested to hear if there is another way to solve this problem which would alleviate need to add activities to a workflow, just to allow assignment of supervisor.

Thanks,

0 Likes
shulin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey,

Glad to get your reply.

My attempts has no success so far except doing just like what you did; or, just leave it the original way - all the supervisors receive the notification/ActivityDue, then one of them do 'acquire'.

I'll be happy to post here if I can find out a more scientific methods.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.