Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Thomas_CBR Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

What's the best way of keeping track of /future/ releases of HPECM?

Are betas or future release notes published anywhere?

After months of badgering our HPE rep about LDAP directory synchronisation we bit the bullet, figured it wasn't coming any time soon and upgraded to HPECM 9.0.0.279 to support our upcomming Windows 10/Office 2016 operating environment upgrade.

Then this week 9.1 comes out and in the release notes:

Directory Synchronization
The ability to synchronize locations with Active Directory (AD) has been added to HPE Content
Manager.

This is frustrating to say the least!

Am I missing something about how future releases are communicated? What's the best way of avoiding making poor decisions like we did with this upgrade?

6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: What's the best way of keeping track of /future/ releases of HPECM?

You can set up email notifications in SSO - Software support online to notify you of patch releases.

You can also track individual Change requests on the site as well, do you have the reference number?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Thanks for the reply Greg. Yes I do have a constant stream of patch notification emails coming in but it doesn't really solve the problem of "Should I do this upgrade now or wait a month and do it then".

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Thomas, notifications might never really solve the age-old question of when to upgrade.

For me, the best practice is to always implement the potential upgrade version into a testing environment that is as close to your production as you can get it. With a copy of your production DB and some of the document store to run some meaningful testing and hopefully pick up anything that would be business critical before hitting your general users. That way you have the best information to judge the upgrade from with a practical application against your own environment and dataset.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. madether Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

The big issue here is that yes you miss out on getting the feature you wanted.  We only just upgraded (16dec) 9.0.201 and the issue with that is we have identified way too many issues and now we have to look to another upgrade cycle to fix these new problems.

The UI regression testing is one of the biggest things we do.  This enables the support staff to be better prepared to support the clients.

The number of underlying changes from 8.3 to 9 is crazy and i don't recall seeing anything about those changes either.

So to upgrade to the newest or lag behind is the real quesiton because we really don't know what is coming.

0 Likes
Strider_1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Welcome to working with HPE... 

Sadly, despite many many years of asking to be kept better informed it doesn't happen and doesn't look likely to happen.

They do put out release notes with each version but even keeping up with those is difficult.

And then the bugs they introduce with each version/build/patch...wow, just wow.

Valued Contributor..

Thanks Greg, this is exactly what we do. I have a test environment with as close to a 1:1 copy of production data as possible used for play & testing.

Doesn't really help me to predict future features though, I'm  copping quite a bit of heat from upstairs for wanting to do another upgrade so soon! Especially since the only real beneficiary of the feature I want (AD sync) is me.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.