Super Contributor.. Joel-Smith Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Workflow rollback and 'Pseudo Last Activity'

TRIM 7.1.2.2017
When attempting to save a workflow template i have just created, i get an error stating the workflow is invalid and needs to be corrected. I click to allow TRIM to correct this, and i end up with 3 activites being joined to a 'Pseudo Last Activity' that is created by TRIM.

I understand that when saving the tempalte TRIM is checking the logic in the workflow and that there must be one start and end activity. The problem is that 2 of the activities TRIM is linking to the pseudo activity have rollback enabled as the only possible outcome/result (for that activity) and are set to go back to the previous activity (essentially a loop until workflow participants select the alternative results for the workflow to progress). To me, this is logical.

I dont understand why it is having an issue with these 2 activities, it obviously doesnt agree with my logic 🙂
On the activities in question, the start conditions are set correctly and only contain one result each that has Rollback enabled and set to rollback to the previous activity.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening?
Cheers.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Workflow rollback and 'Pseudo Last Activity'

It might be as simple as adding a final activity after board approval, something like "finalised" I recall having issues finishing a WF on 2 results in the past. But it has been a while since I have played with it.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Super Contributor..

I tried that and it still autocorrects in the same way and using subordinate activities didnt work out either.

'Decision looping' is an advertised feature of the workflow module and is in the Help File, but it doesnt look like the help file has any information on how to achieve this.

I have however been able to sucessfully save the temple by duplicating the prior activitites so that it is not solely reliant on rollback looping to validate the workflow, the loop now has another way out that directly uses Start Conditions of a Result.

So looks like you cant create a loop using just rollback(?). Seems a bit odd to have to duplicate the activities to achieve this but maybe this is fixed or works differently in a newer version(?).

0 Likes
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Try changing the incoming start condition of the rollback activity to be optional.  See attachment.

---------
Erik
0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Erik - That seems to make better sense, but it still does not work (when i remove the 2nd approval activities) and it wants to correct the same activities before i save the template. I even tried updating all activities in the workflow to have optional start conditions.

The example you attached uses an extra result to rollback to the previous activity. Our business process requires a separate activity for the review process and then resubmit to the approval process again. Your example also uses a start condition (activity 4>5) which provides a way out for your process. I think if you change your start condition from activity 4>5 to 3>5 to create a rollback loop then it may not save the template as is.

I decided to create a new template to correctly represent what i am trying to achieve and for basic testing and am still getting the same outcome. See attached. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I think the problem is that you have a loop that doesn't really go any where. Just ran some testing here and received the same error as you did when i setup an identical WF. I think the root of the problem was you had too many optional start conditions.

So I would recommend simplifying the WF - see attachment 1

Or adding some additional results and changing the order slightly - attachment 2

Note that the arrows are solid black, this indicated that they are not optional 

Let me know what you think

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Odd.  I can build it out just fine.  See attachment.  Maybe start from a fresh template without copying an existing one?

---------
Erik
0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Yes sounds like a rollback loop wont be accepted as logical, it really could go on in an infinite loop if user doesn't select another result.
Greg your attachment 1 and 2 doesn't have any looping/decisions or rollback, it is linear and not really what we are trying to achieve. Although as you suggested, yes we could alter the process, a 'document review' activity could be added before the endorsement activities although this would be an additional (and possibly) unnecessary activity in every workflow before the actual endorsement (thus adding to the workflow time and human input to update).
For now we're just going to go ahead with the additional endorsement activities and setup as laid out in the attachment from my second post (the same build as Eriks post above).
Cheers.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.