Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

<(RM) Support tip> - RM 8.3 DataPort no longer enforces mandatory fields

Hi all,

I thought this worth mentioning.

Historically it was always the case in TRIMPort, and more recently in DataPort, when records are imported it will check there is data in the import file for mandatory fields, and reject the import for any records misisng the mandatory data.

Since RM 8.3, this is no longer the case. This appears to have been an intentional design change; placing the onus back on the user to ensure all mandatory data is present in the import file before importing records.

HPE RM Support are actively pursuing an explanation from Product Development and ideally some documentation around this change in behaviour.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Tags (1)
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: <(RM) Support tip> - RM 8.3 DataPort no longer enforces mandatory fields

So the answer from Product Development is:

This is intended behaviour for DataPort from 8.3 onwards. This change was introduced because of the design of DataPort. When importing records, DataPort processes child lists (e.g. contacts) during a second pass (i.e. after the record has initially been saved).  This means if any field processed during the second pass (e.g. Author) is set to mandatory on the record entry form for the target record type, the import of these records will fail with an error during the first pass; even though valid author data is included in the import file.

In order to avoid this problem, HPE relaxed the business rules during record imports; effectively removing any checking for the presence of import data for mandatory fields and putting the onus back on the user to ensure all mandatory data exists in the import file before commencing a record import.

A change request has been raised (QCCR2D59560) to investigate the possibility of changing this behaviour in future to allow validation of mandatory fields during import.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.