<(RM) Support tip> - VMBX Conversion tool causes the email content to change
There's a known issue in RM 8.3 where the VMBX Conversion tool causes the email content to change
You cannot roll back the changes once the tool has been run
My advice would be to hold off using this tool until it is fixed. Rm 8.3 and CM still support vmbx files so it is not necessary to run this tool at all.
This can be tracked via
Hi. Really horrified to read this, as I am actively in the process of converting emails. The link doesn't provide much information, not to mention there is a broken link within the page. I did notice that the status shows "Closed - No change", which, according to the "state definitions" means: "The decision has been made that no further action will occur. The CR may be closed for the following reasons: not in plan, user misunderstanding, not reproducible, or the product is performing as intended. The work on this CR is complete. "
I'd like to know more about the problem. In my case, it IS necessary to run this tool, because we are exporting a number of records to provide to a third party. They will be able to make use of the files in EML format, but not if we send them VMBX format files.
I can assure you CR is in an open state and actively being worked on, not sure why it's displaying that way in SSO.
Regarding you more details query. Basically once the tool is run it appears to append these symbols to various parts of the message "Ã‚Â" Thus corrupting the format.
I suggest you try running the tool on a couple of test vmbx file and see whether you see the same behaviour.
Let me know if you need more information here.
Oh. I have seen this behavior before, caused by character set confusion (between Latin-1 and Windows-1252, usually). Certain characters are replaced by characters of the other set within a certain hexidecimal value range. It munges quotation marks, percent signs, etc., but alphabetic characters are okay. On your advice, I looked back through some of the many email messages that I have already converted, and I did find the problem in some of the messages. Because it appears to be simple character replacement, I hope that HPE will provide another mail conversion tool that allows correction of the problem. It shouldn't be too hard, and your warning comes too late for many of us, I imagine, who have already converted records to EML format.
A bit of good news, for those of us whose VMBX records originated from GroupWise - For some weird reason, GroupWise messages have always included an attachment duplicating the content of the text portion of the message. That attachment comes over into TRIM, and even if the message part is garbled up, the text attachment is fine.
Thanks, Oli, for your information on this!