Multiple marketplace-connector improvements needed

Multiple marketplace-connector improvements needed

The "ideas" below are essentially re-post from:

https://marketplace.microfocus.com/itom/content/marketplace-connector-mpc

AND

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Server-Automation-User/Marketplace-Connector-MpC-Replaces-HPE-Live-Network-Connector/td-p/1615714

PLEA to Product Management/Support:  If there is a change to the download site and/or utility that breaks the current install base, your customers would benefit from an announcement to that effect.

After downloading this latest version, I took the opportunity to rate MpC (2 out of 5) and provide the following review:

I'm giving Marketplace connector a low rating because it has limited functionality.

Many of us were accustomed to using TON and HPLN, which were by no means perfect, but were much better than MarketPlace Connector The functionality that I think are MUST-HAVES are:    

1) The ability to specify the stream to be downloaded on the command line.   We download SA & NA content. The Windows & Unix teams want their SA content downloaded at different times.   We now have to maintain multiple config files and rename the config files at run-time

2) User configurable download/cache and log locations.   The first time we ran it, it filled up /opt. For HPLN, we had configured the cache_path and logfile_path to custom locations

3) The utility needs to be self-updating. We just wasted a day troubleshooting the inane "Error while processing. Please check settings saved in user-prefs.conf file" message. The solution was to download and install the latest version. Since it worked 3+ weeks ago and there were no announcements of changes on either the SA or NA forums, we had no reason to check for a new version.     Even if it's not going to immediately be self-updating, please try to notify users if there is a change that will break previous versions!!!!!

Tags (1)
2 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Under Consideration

This has been forwarded to the marketplace-connector team. 

Outstanding Contributor.. csaunderson Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Having gone through the pain of this toolset in migration and also in trying to use it, I can only endorse the idea.

The fact that the tool requires a new release in order to enable Windows 2016 vulnerability streams is... absurd.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.