Configuring Content Manager agent connection

Configuring Content Manager agent connection

Data Discovery communicates with Content Manager through the ServiceAPI on the agent.  The Data Discovery help center states the following

The ServiceAPI website must be configured for SSL. The processing agent connects to the ServiceAPI using basic authentication. To ensure security of the username and password, TLS communication is required. You need to configure SSL for the Content Manager sites in IIS Manager, following the typical Windows model. 

In the default installation mode for the Content Manager ServiceAPI IIS is not configured to use SSL and only Windows Authentication is enabled.  This caught me out the first time I configured the integration and took me some time to figure out what was going on through the logs. I noticed a few others having similar issues so I thought I would share the solution.

To enable SSL you will need an appropriate certificate and to enable SSL and basic authentication standard configuration changes are made on the IIS server hosting the Content Manager ServiceAPI. You can test connection to the serviceAPI by using the browser over https.

Labels (1)

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Comments

Thanks Jason, I figured that out eventually but took a while. maybe we can update the help file to just say you  need SSL and the serviceapi needs to run in basic authentication.

Would you suggest a seperate workgroup server or serviceapi specifically to DD ? Also I noticed if your serviceapi isn't exposed externally some of the error messaging isn't displayed.

This is already mentioned in the Connect Help Center under Data management > Integrations > Content Manager integration section.

Content Manager requirements

Processing of Content Manager data requires the Content Manager ServiceAPI component. You must fully install and configure the ServiceAPI component, following the Content Manager installation instructions.

The ServiceAPI website must be configured for SSL. The processing agent connects to the ServiceAPI using basic authentication. To ensure security of the username and password, TLS communication is required. You need to configure SSL for the Content Manager sites in IIS Manager, following the typical Windows model.

For the Content Manager version supported, see the supported data resources under the Agent installation.

Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎2020-09-14 14:03
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.