Backup and delete files from source

Idea ID 2743091

Backup and delete files from source

0 Votes

Hi, 

looking for feature , where we could take file level backup and delete file from sources once backup completes. 

Regards

6 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @u_vaste,

This is something that you should do with a pre/post-exec script. Within the script you can work with the return codes so you know if the backup itself was successful or not. The rest really depends on your environment (e.g file structures). My feeling is that this request won't get many votes, because it might be too specific.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Visitor.

Thanks,  Sebastian it is specific query. Cell manager is on linux. customer is evaluating product. he has this specific requirement. source files should be deleted after its backed up successfully. Do you have any info on return code on which, I can work. 

Regards

Umesh

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @u_vaste,

Please check the following section of the documentation. It should guide you on integrating your scripts into the product and speaks about a few environmental variables defined during the backup session. This works great for backup spec that will always backup the same folder/directory structure. You script can then delete the content once it was backed up.

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.08/PrePostExecCommands

Based on the nature of what you're asking for I would also give you another option or a combination of both. Instead of creating a static backup spec you could use omnib with the -post_exec option. omnib allows you to directly pass files that you want to backup.

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.08/CLIOmnib

Just one last question. Are you doing this to implement an archive log backup or any database? If yes, maybe there is an online backup integration available in Data Protector that will do the job for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@u_vaste 

were the comments of Sebastian OK for you? I would have answered the same. I'll wait for your reply for a week then i will close this request.

Visitor.

HI Sabastian, 

Thanks for revert, could not go through link yet. was busy on some other project.  to answer your query Yes, It is database log but since there is no backup integration for it they are using native DB dump and wants to take file level backup of logs so once backup happens backed up files would be deleted and new file can be populated without need to maintain directory  manually.

Regards     

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Declined

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.