DP DA as a fallback method for VMWare GRE

DP DA as a fallback method for VMWare GRE

0 Votes

VEAgent backups are great for virtual environments, but restores can be a nightmare. In my 12 years of experience with Data Protector I have not seen a fully working VMWare GRE. In the past we mostly avoided it due to the extra cost, but now with the capacity based licenses I've tried to set it up and it is... horrible to say the least. Especially compared to Veeam.

While trying to figure out what shares should be necessary for a successful GRE and given the fact that VIX seems to unsupported for vCenters 6.5 and above, I was wondering if a DP disk agent would be a good idea for a GRE restore - 5565 is already allowed in the network between cell/media servers and clients. No additional accounts would be required and generally it should not be a problem to deploy DP in the entire environment, even if VEAgent is used for VM backups.

1 Comment
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Hi @rusanovd ,

we cannot replace VMware VEPA with a Disk Agent here. That's mandatory by VMware. anyway we are looking into improving VMware GRE in a future version of DP.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.