Data Protector 10.03 /10.04 - Updated Scheduler!!!

Idea ID 1658350

Data Protector 10.03 /10.04 - Updated Scheduler!!!

MicroFocus

Please review this crazy idea that the new and improved scheduler is an improvement. It is NOT!

It's actually a massive step backwards in terms of visability /use-ability / and efficiency.

All of the DP administrators i've spoke with who recently upgraded to DP10.03/04 all feel the same way with the scheduler as i do.

Regards

Darren

5 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the consolidated scheduler. We are working to make the scheduler better with every release based on the feedback received from folks like you.

Is this anything specific you dont like about the scheduler that could be fixed ? Any details on usability, efficiency etc. would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sheetal

Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Here are some examples:

• on DP9, when you entered the area for the Backup-Specification (overview, all specs), you could see immediate, which spec is scheduled (next runtime displayed) or it's disabled/not_scheduled. Easy to see, if we have now 1 hour "free" to make a reboot or some adjustments....
  • on DP9 (overview, all specs), on a 24" screen, you could see 48 specs and the next runtime of them. On DP10 you have to switch to the Web-Scheduler GUI, and when the GUI is ready (which will take some time...), you could only see 12 schedules on the screen...what a pain, it's a waste of space on the screen
  • If you have to disable the schedule for 2 specs from Friday 23:00 till Monday 04:00, and add a extra Backup at Friday 20:00 (things done in front of a patch session), this was done within 1..2 minute in DP9 GUI (or edit direct the schedule file...a little bit faster :-)).  With DP10 this will take 5..10 Minutes, because you go to the spec, "edit schedule", select one of the schedules (and you have minimum 2, because "full weekly" and "inc rest of the week" is individual, if you need more for weekly/monthly/yearly extra-backup...it's your pain), select the schedule...adjust it (several web-pages !), save it...and then jump back to the beginning of everything (yea, not to the area where the schedules for this spec have been displayed...right to the area of everything), and now we start from the beginnung to adjust the other schedule for the same spec and add a extra spec for the friday 20:00 backup.  What a nightmare!
  • if you make changes to the schedule, than it's possible that the specification is immediatly starting...that's fun!
  • if you think: ok, forget the GUI, we will use the CLI....nice try! On my system i was able to get the schedule with "omnirpt -report dl_sched" in 1.5 seconds (DP9), with DP10 it takes 8.75 minutes (yes, 525 seconds !!!).

We have 8 CMs running, the Testlab is now moved to DP10. I could still compare DP9 to DP10...the scheduler is really a massive step back...unusable.
If i have now to make changes to the schedule, i disabale the DP10 scheduling for this spec, and add entries to the crontab of the CM. That is not as smooth like DP9 scheduling, but a much better handling than DP10 scheduler.

# only on the first Monday of each Month
15 8 1-7 * * [ $(date +\%u) -eq 1 ] && [ `/opt/omni/sbin/omnisv status | /usr/bin/grep -c "Active"` -eq 7 ] && /opt/omni/bin/omnib -oracle8_list INDB_ORA_DB -no_monitor

# every day, at hour 0,6,12,18

15 */6 * * * [ `/opt/omni/sbin/omnisv status | /usr/bin/grep -c "Active"` -eq 7 ] && /opt/omni/bin/omnib -oracle8_list INDB_ORA_ARC_DEL -no_monitor

# incremental mon-fri + sun

0 4 * * * [ $(date +\%u) -ne 6 ] && [ `/opt/omni/sbin/omnisv status | /usr/bin/grep -c "Active"` -eq 7 ] && /opt/omni/bin/omnib -datalist ocstestauto -mode incremental -no_monitor

regards...

Stefan

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

New Member.

I have 3,000 servers to upgrade from DP 9.08 to DP 10.3. I would like to see the persons who thought that taking a simple functioning  scheduler and turning it in to junk was a good thing, fired. There should have been the option to continue using the old scheduler. Whoever made this decision didn't have to work with it everyday.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hi, we already improved the scheduler in subsequent versions and are planning another general overhaul of the GUI Dashboard and Scheduler with an upcoming release. Stay tuned.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.