Enable "change device" with omnir -veagent -virtual-environment vmware

Enable "change device" with omnir -veagent -virtual-environment vmware

I would really like to be able to select which media set to restore a VM backup from when running this from command line.

This would allow me to run a scripted VM restore from a replicated copy when the links between the sites won't support a restore via WAN.

When restoring via GUI I have the option to change the backup device so I know this is possible I just need the switch built into the omnir -veagent -virtual-environment vmware command

Example:

My backup used write-device SiteA_IDB_gw1 then the replication used write-device SiteB_IDB_gw2

I want to restore from the replicated copy only so in the GUI I change the SiteA_IDB_gw1 device to use SiteB_IDB_gw2. This means that the media set for the original backup are considered offline to the selected restore device  and therefore the replication media set are used instead.

I want to be able to do the same thing when running via cli:

omnir -veagent -virtual-environment vmware ...... -changedev source-dev new-dev

eg:

omnir -veagent -virtual-environment vmware -barhost SiteB-BH.company.com -apphost SiteA-vc.company.com -instance /ha-datacenter -method vStorageImage -vm /ha-datacenter/vm/VMNAME -instanceUUID 52823846-1135-defc-4e59-0afe2b6f996e -new_name DR-VMNAME -newinstance /ha-datacenter -store MyDatastore -destination SiteB-VC.company.com -changedev  SiteA_IDB_gw1 SiteB_IDB_gw2 -register -skip -no_monitor 

Yes I know I can do this via restoredev file but I want to be able to target this for specific automated restore scripts not for everything.

Honestly I think this should be available for all integ restores. As there is no way to schedule regular restores in the DP GUI we have to script this but unless we have the option to change the restore device we are stuck with only being able to automate same site restores.

Tags (1)
2 Comments
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hello @Jenni_S,

Totally agree. Also changing the location priority of the media containing the desired backup is not practical. It needs too many steps on CLI or GUI so it needs to be changed.

Please consider also voting for this idea, because it is similar/related. Thanks for bringing that up.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.