Exclude option for MSSQL Database backup should work in same way as for filesystem backup

Idea ID 1662821

Exclude option for MSSQL Database backup should work in same way as for filesystem backup

Current behaviour (also with DP 10.0x):

In the Full and Differential backup specifications, the complete SQL server is selected for backup.
In the TRANS backup specification, we have unchecked some of the DBs that are in simple recovery mode since transaction backup is not supported for DBs in simple recovery mode.

In such cases, instead of updating what is excluded, the specification gets updated with all that is selected.

Hence, if a new DB gets created in the SQL server, that DB is not automatically part of the trans backup.

Wanted behaviour:

The same exclude functionallity for MS SQL backup specification than we have for File System backup specification.
When one database is unselected(From the backup specification which is created by selecting entire SQL server/instance for Backup), any new database added in the instance should get backed up automatically.

same as reported back in 2015:

QCCR2A61136 Enable exclude option in backup specification for MSSQL Database backup

3 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Contributor.
Contributor.

Dear Data Protector Team,

Could you please let me know what is the status of this enchancement request ?

This enhancment request was created on my behalf as part of support case # SD02271982.

As per my understanding, this is a very basic functionality that should have been supported by default. It is very strange to see that we are waiting for votes from people to have this basic functionality added to Data Protector.

I am not sure how many customers need this functionality, but as a customer, I need this functionality. I need to be able to exclude a few DBs from backup and still be assured that any new database that is created is automatically part of backups.

Thanks and regards,
Sivarama Raju P

Contributor.
Contributor.

Dear Data Protector Team,

Could you please let me know what is the status of this enchancement request ?

We are in real need of this functionality. 

I would like to ask, did anyone from the Data Protector Product management team or the R&D even take a look at this ?

Please provide me with an update at the earliest.

Thanks and regards,
Sivarama Raju P

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.