Make is so Event Filter listener and Telemetry service are not being installed by default

Idea ID 2836458

Make is so Event Filter listener and Telemetry service are not being installed by default

0 Votes

Hello,

When performing a push upgrade / local installation of DP 10.80 the following two services are being installed that are unneeded:

Data Protector Filter Listener Service

Data Protector Telemetry Client Service

From what I know Filter listener service is used for VM Granular Recovery and I do  not have any VMs in my environment or the VM Integ component installed.

Also I have never agreed for the DP telemetry, so it should not be installed.

Could you please modify the installed behavior to install them only when needed?

Thank you in advance!

4 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @Momchil Nikolov,

The Filter Listener service was used for VMware GRE before, but is now also used for Block Based Back File Recovery (now part of Disk Agent). Telemetry service is installed on the GUI client only. If you do not opt-in to Telemetry it will not do anything.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Should the telemetry service be installed if it is not doing anything ?

Also is it possible to update the documentation so that it is reflected what the Filter listener is used for.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Momchil Nikolov,

Yes everything is as expected. It is because a customer can opt-in and opt-out at any time. So the software is already installed.

There is actually something in the documentation already on Filter Listener Service. See this link for details.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.