Need archiving option for S3 IA and Glacier when B2D device maps to S3

Idea ID 1671207

Need archiving option for S3 IA and Glacier when B2D device maps to S3

I have backups that must be retained for 7 years to satisfy compliance requirements, but they are rarely if ever used for actual restores.  DP can map a B2D device to Amazon S3 cloud storage, and that's great.  But for long-term retention, I would like DP to migrate that S3 data to S3 IA (Infrequent Access) or ideally Glacier and still be able to see it, track it, and if necessary use it for restore.  Or perhaps have DP write long-term data directly to S3 IA or Glacier via B2D device.

In this manner I can keep short-term backup data on S3 and push long-term archival data to less expensive Glacier storage, understanding of course the diminished service levels for Glacier compared to S3.

3 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Member..
Member..

hi

Have you solve this issue? I have simillar doubt about it.

I guess, one option is, save your data into S3, create a policy to move data from S3 to Glacier.

When need to restore something from Glacier, you can recovery file back to S3 and so use DP to recovery this file

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Delivered

@Jim Turner 

DP 10.70 now supports AWS Glacier and Deep Archive for long-term retention.

About the Author
Jim is a multi-disciplined engineering professional with 34 years of electronic and systems experience. For the past 21 years, Jim’s primary focus has been enterprise backup, recovery, and archiving (BURA). As an HPE Master Technologist, he is recognized as a global authority on Micro Focus Data Protector, HPE StoreOnce, and the proper integration of both. Jim's consulting has stretched over 511k miles and 171 unique locations in North America during his 13 years with HP(E). When not traveling, Jim resides in Edmond, OK with his wife and two dogs.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.