Preview backup for filesystems

Preview backup for filesystems

I can see no good reason why the "preview backup" feature was removed for filesystems.  (it remains for database backups). 

It's simply a regular backup, with output directed to a bit-bucket.  It was an invaluable option for seeing how your backups would run, without having to waste valuable time, and space on your tapes.

6 Comments
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Thomas,

I fully agree and you have my vote. Backup Preview is basic functionality and has been useful to many customers. I found that this functionality was missing in DP A.10.00 and submitted Enhancement Request QCCR2A76083 to bring it back. According to my sources the Filesystem backup preview was broken and requires fixing.

Backing up to a null device is a valid alternative for most use cases.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Thomas J. Harro Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I looked up your referenced changed, and (unless I misread), I saw "closed, no change".

Do we know if this is still in progress, or has it been dropped?

-Tom

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Tom,

It is in progress since it also shows "Future Release Investigation". Let's collect a few votes and product management will comment on this.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

jmtzou Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Waiting for votes

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Delivered

This feature is now available with Data Protector 10.10 for full backups. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.