Re-instate the use of Symbolic or Soft linksfor DP10+.

Idea ID 1655937

Re-instate the use of Symbolic or Soft linksfor DP10+.

We have been a Data Protector site for 18 years.  Currently our site supports up 19 different customers thus we have 19 different installations of Data Protector 9.x.  During testing of the upgrade from DP9 -> DP10.03 I found that DP10.03 does not support Symbolic or Soft links.  All of our installations use these softlinks for DP, /opt/omni->/omni/opt/omni, /var/opt/omni->/omni/var/opt/omni and /etc/opt/omni->/omni/etc/opt/omni.  I order to modify requires 2 groups working with us for each environment to add more space to /opt and /var and down time to copy/move the data from /omni..... to /var, /opt and /.  Having all DP FS in one mounted FS, /omni, is very handy.

I would like Micro Focus /HPE continue with the support of the symbolic links which they had done up until the release of 10X.

Thanks

Chuck

3 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Delivered

The latest release of Data Protector 2018.11 (10.20) offers support for symbolic links. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.