ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.

Restore Exchange Database Files to Client without Exchange Server

Idea ID 2860693

Restore Exchange Database Files to Client without Exchange Server

Brief description:

Direct restore support of Exchange database files to a client system where no Exchange Server is installed. This kind of request becomes more and more important with the ongoing transition towards Exchange Online in many customer environments. On-premise infrastructure will disappear and no longer be available for restore operations.

Benefit:

Having a simple option to restore Exchange database files to a temporary file system without the need of an installed Exchange Server. Third party software may be used to extract individual elements if needed.

10 Comments
Commander
Commander

I have also customers which are interested in this feature.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello

We have a valid workaround for that, totally agree with Sebastian about it must be possible from GUI console ina simple way.

Anyway if you are interested in the workaround please contact support team for to receive an action plan.

Best Regards

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

@Sebastian.Koehler 

Exchange Online is not designed to be backed up or restored on a database level. All activity is done per Mailbox (ref. MS Graph/EWS API). So this feature would be limited to traditional Exchange on-premise installations. Please check for JBasilio's workaround. 

Right now we are investing into Exchange Online only.

We would need dependable customer data and business cases to change the existing approach.

Cadet 3rd Class Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Hi MF Team

@UliW_MF @JBasilio 

We have a current problem on a customer who should restore Exchange 2010 DB files without having and Exchange 2010 environment available anymore. We would be very happy if this would work within the DP GUI and without installing and old Exchange 2010 environment as this is not allowed by customer company restrictions anymore.

@JBasilio who can provide us the workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Andy

Please open a support case and provide us the case ID , I will contact you with details for be able to restore exchnage database without Exchnage server available.

Best Regards

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @UliW_MF,

I have tagged this with M365 since it is related. My goal was to make you aware that if customers move to Exchange Online this kind of requests may become quite popular. Using the command line is valid, but the actual change in the E2010 integration would be minimal.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@Sebastian.Koehler 

Is this request for traditional Exchange or Exchange Online? Please decide.

Like said: Database level backup and restore IS NOT possible with Exchange Online.

Also: Please don't claim a solution being easy to implement since you are not part of
Support or R&D.

@All: Why is this request coming up now? We have the integration out there for
10 years ... What has changed?

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @UliW_MF,

This is for the regular Exchange Integration (E2010). This kind of requests are coming up now because users migrating to Exchange Online will no longer have an on-premise Exchange servers to restore previously backed up data. But of course there might be data with long term retention that may require restores at some point.

I say it is easy to implement since the GUI allows restore to a temporary location already and the Data Protector DMA is able to restore even without an Exchange installed. So removing the E2010 integration infrastructure PowerShell checks should be enough. This is what I can say from looking at the debugs at least.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Sebastian Koehler 

We would be one such customer moving exchange to office 365 and need to have the ability to restore on-prem from long term retention to a temp destination and then use 3rd party tool to extract.

I would also welcome such a feature to be available.

thanks

Darren

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @UliW_MF

Please check current thread requesting the same than Sebastian described, I really guess that number of request for that will increase in the future very fast.

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Data-Protector-User-Discussions/Office-365-email-migration/td-p/2864213

Best Regards

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.