Restore of a single VMware volume from Virtual Disk without GRE from DP GUI.

Restore of a single VMware volume from Virtual Disk without GRE from DP GUI.

Hello, we would like to be able to restore of a single VMware volume from Virtual Disk without GRE from DP GUI.

3 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: New Idea

Hi, this request needs more detail and examples. Is the request about enhancing volume restore or is it about moving the existing functionality to the DP GUI instead?

Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

What I think is meant here (@Kozloviv pls correct me if I'm wrong) is that it is not possible to restore a single VMDK back into the ESXi estate without shutting down the source VM *and* losing the live vmdk first. This is because it is not possible to restore an individual vmdk to a different VM container.

So if you have a VM container with 6 x 2TB vmdk's and you want to restore just one of them so you can get a couple of files off it you either need to restore the whole VM container to a new container name or you need local disk space on the backup host to restore the vmdk there and then you need to upload it back onto a DS before you can mount it to the VM to extract the files.

GRE is really flaky for very large vmdks (exactly when you need it to work) and with the VE Integ restore its still not possible to restore vmdks in parallel so the restore is way slower than the backup so restoring the whole VM to a different container name is not really viable either.

If it were possible to restore an individual vmdk to a different VM container (e.g. a dedicated "restore" VM) this would bypass a lot of issues with GRE and lengthy restore times. 

My 2 cents 😉

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.